Saturday, June 30, 2018

Full Friday

I didn't sleep well, so I woke up late on Friday (should have set the alarm). Part of my sleep problem were the damn fireworks people kept setting off until 2:00 a.m.

Anyway, I had to hustle to get to my 9:00 a.m. haircut. So, I skipped breakfast and coffee and hopped into the shower. I was out the door in 20 minutes and only five minutes late for my appointment.

I was out of the barber shop before 9:30 a.m. (and looking sharp, I might add) but I was starving. So, I headed down Five Mile to Farmington and went to Bates. I ordered the half order of biscuits and sausage gravy.

Sidebar: I know I have mentioned Bates makes it better that Leo's Coney Island and it's true. But, I can't figure out why. I have made this a hundred times and it's the simplest stupid recipe. The only thing I can think is that Bate's uses better pork sausage. Plus, Leo's cost $3.69 and Bates is $3.15.

Since I was on Farmington Road anyway, I went down to the Looney Bakery. I was hoping to buy a half dozen of salt bagels for the weekend. But, not that many people like the heavy salt taste, so they don't make a lot of them and they sell out early. All I could get were the last four.

From there I went to Kroger's. It was already uncomfortably hot and humid, by the way.

I had a large list (for me - about half a cart) and my legs starting giving out about halfway through the store. Now, normally, I would have just quit and got the other half tomorrow. But, today, it just pissed me off! So, I finished up and got in line. I lucked out and got right through. I pushed the cart out to the truck and left it sitting there while I sat in the truck with the A/C on, trying to recover.

I finally unloaded it and took off for home.

I left the truck outside and slowly unloaded it. The two steps up to the kitchen were killer! I got it all in (finally) but couldn't put anything away. So, I left it all sitting on the counter and laid on the bed to recover. I got up about 20 minutes later, afraid for the frozen and refrigerated stuff.

I put everything away and went back to bed with a salt bagel for lunch. I spent two hours in bed.

Sidebar: I have no idea WTF is wrong with my legs. I have a very little front yard and a self propelled push mower, but I had to quit when cutting it about half way through to rest my legs. I always hurt from both my hips to below my knees.

I got up at 1:00 p.m. and then left for my eye surgeon's appointment.

That went well. My left eye is also 20-20. The only disagreement was when the doctor suggested I get clear classes with bifocal readers. I told him I will be 70 years old this year and have been wearing glasses since I was seven. I'll be damned if I wear glasses I don't need. I'll carry around the readers. He finally said it's up to me.

I have to go back one more time in three months. They also made me an appointment with my normal eye doctor (it's required, although I don't know why) for July 10th.

I drove home and went back to bed.

I got up to water the hanging plants and the mailbox garden around 5:30 p.m. and got in the mail.

My daughter, Melissa, called when her dinner was in the oven (she was making chicken legs and pasta salad). We chatted for a while and I mentioned my leg problems. She asked when it started and I said February, maybe March. She suggested it was the Cipro (Ciprofloxacin) antibiotic my infectious disease doctor put me on. She said her husband, Dave's brother in-law was on it and ended up in physical therapy!

Sidebar: I did ask around after reading the potential side effects and most people who had taken it said they had no side effects.

I told her I had an appointment with her on July 9 and would discuss it. She said I could call her right away.

After we hung up, I thought about it. Since I am taking two oral antibiotics, I think I will just stop taking the Cipro and see if that helps. I'll talk to her at my appointment and ask for a less nasty replacement.

I made a DeiGiorno pizzeria thin hand-tossed pizza for dinner (they are smaller and perfect for me). I added some banana peppers (my favorite) and some black olives with just a little mozzarella cheese (if you add too much, I've learned, you end up with a soupy mess). I ate that with a Heineken, both of witch I bought today.

I spent the rest of the night watching TV.

I was watching the Tonight Show with Caley sleeping next to me, my arm over her (she insists on that). It dawned on me how cute a picture that would make. But I woke her up, reaching for the phone. And, when I went to take the picture anyway, my arms weren't long enough to get us both, lol! I need a selfie-stick!


  1. Hope you figure this out...sounds like my life.

  2. See, that's why I don't want to use the little electric carts at the grocery store or give my list to Amanda (as she keeps insisting I do). Six months ago this was not a problem. There is something going on and I don't think it's just old age.