Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Monday Moanin'

I got up to the alarm at 6:00 a.m. on Monday. I ate a packet of instant oatmeal so I could take my pills without throwing up. I watched the morning news and was totally confused with the weather! The last time I saw it, they said Monday would be warm and dry, so I hoped to cut at least the front lawn. Now they were predicting thunderstorms!

I shaved, showered and got dressed for my eye doctor's appointment. I left the house at 8:00 a.m. It started to sprinkle on my way there.

This time the wait was longer, but the actual eye exam was just as quick. The thunder started while I sat in the waiting room. Then the rain came down in sheets.

This was a post-op for my right eye and a pre-op for the left. They gave me an eye exam on my right eye and told me it was a perfect 20-20! Of course, I will need reading glasses.

Sidebar: The technician said I could always go with bifocals with the reading prescription on the bottom and clear glass on top. Oh, hell no! I have worn glasses since I was seven years old (so 62 years now, lol). So, I think I'll tote around the reading glasses if and when I need them. She said then I should go to the drug store and try on some to see what works. She recommended 250.

I told her that my daughter, Melissa, had my back and already bought me four or five in different strengths for Christmas.

The other doctor came in, checked me out and cleared me for my next operation on my left eye this Thursday.

I left in a light rain a little after 9:30 a.m. I realized I was hungry so I stopped at Bates. The place was empty! I sat at the counter and ordered a half order of biscuits and sausage gravy and a cup of black coffee. I bullshitted with the waitress and the cook (they are both in full view from the counter) while I ate. Then I drank two cups of coffee while I watched the rain and the cars outside.

Sidebar: I eat a lot of biscuits and gravy and I think Bates has the best (at least so far).

I left and stopped at Kroger's to pick up a few items. That parking lot was only about half full! I got my stuff and got my ass home. The rain has stopped by then.

I treated the cat and changed my clothes. My back and legs still hurt from yesterday, so I laid on the bed and watched DIY shows for a long time. I also read the Owner's Guide for the new mower.

I also checked out the reading glasses. 250 worked and so did 275. I think I'll wait and see what works with my left eye before I buy two or three more (one for the house, one for the truck and one to carry, if needed).

Finally, around 3:00 p.m., I went out and filled the mower with gasoline and oil. I attached the pull cord to the handle (the only thing they didn't do). Two pulls and it fired right up!

I used the grass catcher (they don't recommend the mulcher or the side discharge chute with wet grass). My first pass was a disaster. I was concentrating on figuring out the speed control for the self propelled feature but after one row, I realized I was scalping my lawn!!!

I checked the Owner's Guide and found they had the rear wheels set at high, but the front wheels were set as low. I fixed that and then cut the front lawn. I had to empty the grass catcher twice and I couldn't get as close to things as I would have liked, but the mower worked flawlessly.

I put the mower away and got out the trimmer. I got one side of the driveway and the ditch done when the plastic string on the trimmer ran out. I spent way too long looking for the replacement string I knew I had, but never found it.

So, I gave up. I'll buy more at the Home Depot on Tuesday and finish the job.

Anyway, other than the trim, the lawn looked nice. It's a little longer than I would like, but I didn't want to wreck the grass by cutting it too short this time.

Back inside, I was finally hungry again, so I made tuna and peas and served it over wide egg noodles for dinner.

I watched an old movie until 11:00 p.m. Then I watched the news and the first part of the Tonight Show. Then I shut the TV  off and went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment