Thursday, May 3, 2018

May Day

I woke up late again on Tuesday. I seem to have entered a new sleep cycle rhythm, where I can't fall asleep until 1 or 2:00 a.m. and then sleep to 7 or 8:00 a.m.

I watched the morning news while eating oatmeal with coffee for breakfast.

It was already warm out. So, I turned off the furnace and opened all the windows to air the winter out of the house (I should have done that yesterday).

I didn't shave or shower, but just got dressed in my work clothes and went out to the backyard. Since my back still hurt from yesterday's trash collection, I decided to concentrate on picking up branches on the lawn.

Sidebar: Yes, I would still be bending over, but there are a lot less branches than there are pieces of trash.

The first thing I did was to use the electric chainsaw to cut up that big branch. I saved the nice-sized pieces for Scott and Amanda's bonfires.

Then I walked the yard, picking up branches. It took about an hour, but I finally had the backyard ready to mow (if you don't count tons of twigs and pine cones).

I shaved, showered and got dressed. Then I left to meet Amanda for lunch at Daly's when she got off work. She only works until 1:30 or 2:00 p.m. on Monday's and Tuesday's. I had a cup of their cream of potato soup (it's excellent) and a Junior Daly Dog (it's a regular-sized hot dog - the Daly Dog is a foot-long).

Back home, I put on shorts and a T-shirt, then I did a load of laundry. I laid on the bed and read for a while. I tried to take a nap (I knew I'd be out late) but that didn't work.

At 5:30 p.m., I made myself a sandwich with the last of the egg salad. I cleaned out the bowl it was in and started the dishwasher.

At 6:00 p.m., it was 84 degrees outside and 76 degrees inside the house.

I washed my face and pits with a wash cloth and got dressed for this evening's festivities. Vicky and I were going to the Fisher Theatre to see "On Your Feet!" The Emilio & Gloria Estefan Broadway musical.

The problem was, they didn't change Vicky's work days yet (That usually happens on the first of the month. So, she had to work until 7:00 p.m. and the shows starts at 8:00 p.m. That would be cutting it close!

I didn't know what time she got home from work (she always says "It's like 15 minutes or so") so I got there at 7:15 p.m. I just sat in the truck (not wanting to bother Evy or Yanessa). Vicky showed up at 7:23 p.m. She asked me to come inside because Evy would want to see me, so I did.

Yanessa was glad to see me, until she realized her mom and me were leaving without her.

We left in Vicky's SUV (because she knows where things are in Detroit and I don't).

Sidebar: I am pretty confident in getting around Redford, Livonia, even Plymouth and Novi. But Vicky always amazes me, driving around Detroit. She goes here and there, cuts down little side streets, across to this other street and always ends ups where we need to go. But then she's lived there all her life.

I offered to pay for parking, but it turned out the Fisher Theatre parking structure is free for patrons (in Detroit, free parking is amazing!)

Sidebar: I know spell check doesn't like it, but they do spell it "The Fisher Theatre."

We walked in after 8:00 p.m. down a beautiful hallway.

The lobby was packed! WTF? I thought we were late? Turned out there were "opening night delays."
The lobby was also impressive, with huge, high ceilings and balconies.

They finally opened the doors and we streamed in and were seated. We had great seats, BTW, although I was a bit confused. I thought out tickets were in the center section, but we ended up on the right side. Still, it was in Row C, right next to the stage.

It still took a long time, just looking at the curtain and the theatre itself.

Finally, the show started. As with the Lion King, you were first instructed to shut off your phones and no pictures were allowed. Sorry.

I sort of thought it would just be like a collection of hits, but the plot was much more complex. It literally documented Gloria Estefan' life, from childhood. It was fantastic! The dancing, the songs and the story line were amazing!

Sidebar: In most of the dances, the women were wearing short shirts and twirling a lot. I have not seen that much underwear in 20 years! I loved it!!!

At intermission, we stayed in our seats. Finally, I said I might go to the restroom. Vicky said she might go get something to drink. I offered to bring her something back and she no, she needed the walk.

They did a chime thing to let you know intermission was almost over, so I hurried. When I got back, Vicky wasn't there! She finally showed up, without a drink.

It turned out that they only took cash and she didn't have any. So, she went and finally found an ATM. But, by the time she got back, they were closed.

The second act was much more intense, ending up with her accident and relearning to walk after a year.

All, in all, the show was a memorable experience.

Vicky took a couple of selfies. Please note that other than the ceiling in what I call the grand hall, all the photo credits go to her. I find it difficult to manage just to stay erect, using a cane plus taking photos.

Sidebar: Old white guy with a pretty Puerto Rican!

Due to the late start, we got back to her house at 11:30 p.m. I visited for a bit (both Evy and Yanessa were still up). I tickled Yanessa's feet and I think she forgave me for kidnapping her mother. We all hugged goodbye and I promised to call or text when I got home so I left.

There are two ways to get off of I-96 to get to Vicky's house. I went back to the one I took to get there. The west bound ramp was CLOSED!

Hey, no problem. I turned around went went down Vernor to Clark Street to the other exit I know (almost to Vicky's house again). CLOSED!!!

Okay, so how to cope? I thought I'd just drive north (I have an excellent sense of direction) until I hit a familiar road then go west, hoping to hit I-96.

I finally came across Rosa Parks Blvd, so I turned onto that. I drove and I drove north.  I didn't see any street I knew (well, truth be told, I couldn't read the street signs).

So, I turned around.

Sidebar: This was a three or four lane highway, okay?

As I did, Vicky called me. She asked if I was  home. I said no, I'm lost. Just then, I had a cop with his lights flashing behind me, so I asked if she could call me back.

The cop asked if I knew why he had stopped me. I said, no, but that I was damn glad to see him. I told him I was seriously lost. He said I must be as I was driving the wrong way on a one way street!!! I gave him my license, registration and proof of insurance while his female partner stood on the right side of the truck, shining a flashlight inside.

I waited while he ran my plates. He came back and said I should make an immediate U-turn, go to the next light and take a left. In a mile or two I would come across the entrance ramps to I-96.

Sidebar: My plan worked and I was so close!!!

I thanked him, did my U-turn and, following his directions, found I-96 and headed home. When I got there, I sent Vicky a text, took off my clothes and went to bed. It had been a long day...

No comments:

Post a Comment