Sunday, April 29, 2018

Cold Saturday!

It was cloudy and cold on Saturday. I had cold cereal for breakfast.

After 9:00 a.m., I called my barber for an appointment (I should have done that earlier in the week, BTW). The first opening she had was 11:00 a.m. So, I took it.

So, I killed time after I shaved, showered and got dressed. Then I went grocery shopping at Kroger's for a few items and finally got my haircut.

One of Amanda's friends was taking her and Keldon out for a birthday lunch after Keldon's karate class.

Sidebar: If you haven't noticed, Amanda's birthday celebrations seem to last a week or so.

She was going to text me when lunch was over (she estimated 12:30 p.m.) so we could meet at Bookstock in the Laurel Park Place mall.

Sidebar: This is the second or third time I have gone. They load up tables of used books by category and sell them incredibly cheap. I stole this photo from their website to show you. P.S. Don't let them fool you, it's a lot more crowded than that!

So, while I was waiting for her, I started the water for the pasta salad I was making for my weekend lunches and dinners. The water had just started to boil and I was just about to prep the veggies when I got her text (just after noon).

So, I turned the water off and headed out. Before I left, I threw the rolling walker in the truck bed. I had a feeling there was going to be more walking than the cane would handle. Plus, hey, I could always set the brakes and sit down while they searched for books they liked.

She said she would meet me at the California Pizza Kitchen entrance (the north end of the mall). They were waiting at the door for me. First thing we did was get a map of the book displays and learned the kids and young adult books were all in the food court (the south end of the mall). Damn! So, we had a long hike, just to start.

I sat down while Amanda and Keldon started looking for books and VHS tapes or DVDs. Finally, I got up to help them look. The first thing Amanda did after she found two or three she thought Keldon would like was to put them on my walker's seat! So much for sitting down, lol. Wish I hadn't broken the basket off years ago.

P.S. She said how handy the walker was and I should bring it along every time. It really is easier to walk with, but a pain in the ass to load and unload or to get up curbs or stairs, etc. But, it we have any adventures this summer or fall (art fairs, Octoberfest, apple orchards, etc. like last year, I think I will.

They loaded up on books and tapes (seriously) and I ended up getting a bag (that had to be returned at checkout) just to hold them all.

Amanda wanted to get a new cover for her cell phone, so I offered to watch Keldon when she went into the mall. I bought him a hot pretzel (I bought me one too but threw it away when I realized there was no salt on it. WTF?) I let him ride on a race car ride, he got a temporary tattoo, did some sort of craft thing and we finally ended up in the play area, where he had a blast and made new friends.

Amanda finally came back (she was filling out some survey or something to win a new Ford) so we started the long walk back. She kept saying I needed a chance to look at the adult books. I was tired by then and not really interested. But, I did check the mystery section out while she checked out. I found a hardcover one by Thomas Perry (one of my favorite authors) and grabbed it. My bill was $3.00. Keldon's was $42.00!!!

We made our goodbyes and I headed home.

Sidebar: It wasn't until I checked Facebook that I learned my great-niece Jamie Hugo and David Decker (from New Baltimore) were there at the same time! Couldn't figure out how I missed them until I realized we'd spent all our time in the kids section while they were probably at the other end of the mall in the adult section. I would have loved to see them.

Back home, I started the water boiling again while I prepped the veggies. I just made a simple one. I used a green pepper, a de-seeded cucumber, green onions and cherry tomatoes (cut in half). I added the tri-color pasta when it was cooked and cooled, then dumped about a half bottle of Italian dressing on it. I added salt and pepper to tasted, then put it in the fridge to get happy.

I waited a couple hours until I was starving (I had had no lunch) and then plated it.

It tasted great, but I realized I had cut both the green peppers and the cucumbers too big. But, nothing I couldn't fix with a steak knife while eating.

Since I now had a trash bag filled with veggie leftovers, I took the trash out to the container. I don't like the smell of that or leftover food in the house. It was still cold! On the way back inside, I realized my chives were almost ready to harvest for the first time (I usually get five or six cuttings from them. What I don't use, I freeze for the winter).

I read my book until the Stanley Cup playoffs came on. In retrospect, that was a mistake. They went into double overtime. I wanted to watch Saturday Night Live, but the 11:00 p.m. news didn't come on until after midnight. So, I ended up going to bed around 2:30 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment