Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Fat Tuesday

I woke up to the alarm on Tuesday, blah, blah, blah. My breakfast was soft scrambled eggs.

The ride to the doctor's office was a breeze for a change.

Once I was hooked to the IV pole, I began to regret those Grillin' beans for last night's dinner and snack. It's hard to hide a fart (or 20) when you're locked into a chair!!!

Sidebar: I think I lost a lot of friends and nurses, today...

On the way home, I swung by Time Out. Amanda had gotten some chocolate molds at Michael's (she was getting Keldon a Valentine card box for his school party). She made the candy last night and wanted to give me some.

She said I could only have three because of my diabetes.She had them in a cute little Valentine's bag.

Thanks, kid.

I stopped at Larry's Foodliner to get some bananas.

Sidebar: I had been complaining to Amanda last night about this damn diarrhea and she said to get some bananas as that works on Keldon. Hmmm... So, today, when the nurse asked me how I was doing, I mentioned diarrhea. She said I should eat some bananas! So, bananas it was!!!

I also got a bag of rock salt. The ice is beginning to build up on my garage apron.

So, when I got home, I put the rock salt in a bucket and sprinkled some on the ice.

Sidebar: I must admit, I am probably to blame for the ice, because I keep sweeping the water in the garage out onto the apron.

Inside, I changed clothes and began making some split pea and ham soup.

First, I dumped the bag of split peas onto a half sheet pan and sorted through them looking for little stones. Please do not skip this step. A few years ago, I skipped it with some dried beans and damn near broke a tooth on a little rock!

I put them in my Dutch oven. Then I rough-chopped a celery stalk, a large carrot and an onion. They went into the pot as well. I added two ham hocks and froze the other two.

My recipe called for an herb bundle of fresh parsley, fresh thyme and a bay leaf. I didn't have any fresh herbs. So, I used a square of cheese cloth and added dried parsley, dried thyme and a bay leaf. I added in a pinch of red pepper flakes to give it a little kick. I tied it into a bag with a long string and attached the other end of the string to the Dutch oven's handle.

Then I added chicken stock (one box, a can and a little water to make six cups). I brought that to a boil and then turned it to simmer and covered it. I set the timer on the stove for one hour.

Then I went and started doing my taxes (groan).

I got a phone call from the infectious disease doctor's office. My Monday blood draw results came in and they were not good. The 1 1/2 hour drip of vancomycin I have been on is not cutting it. She said it looks like I am pissing it out before it can work. She said that's good, as far as kidney function goes, but not good enough to kill the infection.

So, they want my permission to switch it to something called cubicin (daptomycin). Why do they need to even ask? Because vancomycin costs me (my co-pay) $18.00 per infusion. Cubicin costs $67.00 each! I told her I was sick to death of all this infection shit and to do whatever it takes to get it the hell out of me!

I just hope they have a payment plan...

I was a bit discouraged, so I said to hell with the taxes today.

The timer went off, so I pulled the Dutch oven off the burner. I took out the ham hocks and set them aside to cool. I pulled out the herb bag and threw it away. This is what I had left.

I got the immersion blender and pureed the hell out of it.

I cut what little meat there was off the ham hocks and added a bag of small diced ham to it. I like a lot of ham in my split pea soup.

I dished up a bowl, added some oyster crackers and was in split pea heaven!!!

It was delicious. I admit I ate two bowls. When the rest cooled, I put it in the fridge (I'll probably freeze it later).

I ate it watching the Olympics. So, after cleaning up the mess, I went back to the Olympics and watched them (reading as well) until 12:30 a.m. Then I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment