Friday, January 26, 2018


I woke up without the alarm at 8:30 a.m. on Thursday. I was surprised how late that was!  But, I went through my morning routine and then ate an oatmeal breakfast.

I putzed around straightening up stuff, then I finally shaved and showered at noon. I had a doctor's appointment (infectious disease) at 2:45 p.m., so I figured there was no sense in doing it early.

I ate the last of the tuna salad for my lunch.

My friend B___ sent me a text, asking me if I felt like a call. I sent him one back, saying I'd call after the doctor's as I would probably have  more to say then. I tried to call Carla, but just got her voicemail.

I left at 2:00 p.m. That was a little bit early, but driving for distances is becoming harder and harder. As soon as this infection issue has been resolved, I really need to get back to the cataract removal!

I got lost! They told me where their office was and I thought I knew it. Had to use the phone to backtrack.

I filled out the usual crap you do when going to a doctor the first time. I have learned (the hard way) to take a list of my pills with me.

I waited almost an hour to get in and finally see the doctor.

She was not pleased that it's still draining. It's only a little and it's clear, but she didn't like it. She said she should have been more aggressive with my treatment. So, she added another antibiotic (Vancomycin - I had it in the hospital) to start ASAP. I can't wait to find out how much this one costs a week!

She also asked when I was going to see the surgeon next. I told her tomorrow, on Friday. She said to give him her card. I told her I already did. She said to give him another one, because she wants to talk with him.

Sidebar: I know what that means. She want him to cut my leg open, scrape the bone and then wash it out.

She asked how I was doing, otherwise. I told her how I fixed the diarrhea and vomiting with yogurt. She approved. I told her that my biggest complaint now is feeling so damn tired all the time. She said that was completely normal. Not only does the antibiotic make you tired, but she said my body is tired from trying to fight the infection.

I left there with a February 15th appointment, another of her cards and the sure knowledge my weekly cost for antibiotics is now about $750.00, which I really can't afford...

I left there and drove home through rush hour traffic. Before I even got home, the medical supply company called and said they would be delivering the new antibiotics, supplies and an IV pole tonight between 6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m.

I just pulled in when my brother Jim called to see how the visit went. I filled him in and then I changed clothes.

I called B___ back and filled him in, too. I was whining about the costs of the meds and he said I should have went to the nursing home/rehab place and got it all for free. Gee, thanks!

I had thawed out a pound of ground chuck. So, I sauteed a sliced large onion. When it was soft, I pulled it and set it aside. Then I made two half-pound patties and fried them up. I put one on a plate and topped it with half of the onion. I added some A1 steak sauce and ate dinner.

The guy came and dropped off the new supplies and the IV pole around 7:30 p.m.

He said, "Something sure smells good in here!" I told him I had just made dinner. I signed and he left. I put the antibiotics in the fridge and left the rest.

I did the regular antibiotics while watching TV.

I was beat and had to wake up early in the morning, so I went to bed at 9:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment