Friday, December 29, 2017

My Puerto Rican Family Christmas Visit

I woke up early (6:15 a.m.) on Thursday. I ran through my routine, then ate some breakfast. I shaved showered and got dressed for a quick trip to the Credit Union. My "Low Tire Pressure" light was one, but it always does that when its really cold.

Sidebar: I have not idea why. Does the cold temperature condense the actual air in the tire or something? I dunno...

I stopped on the way back at that little grocery store and picked up some Pillsbury cinnamon rolls and a jug of orange juice. Not sure if snacks will be enough if they come at lunch or dinner time. And, what would I make if they do? We really should have discussed all this I guess.

Stopped at the quarter car wash next to the house and used the brush-less car wash bay to get all the damn salt washed off. Figured I could get to the garage before it froze solid and I did.

I dragged the empty trash and recycle bins around back before shutting the garage door and treating the cat.

I ate lunch (the last hot dog) while watching the news at noon.

Vicky sent me a text, saying they'd be here around 2:00 p.m. (that lets me off the hook for lunch or dinner, I think).

So, I set out paper plates and napkins, opened the cookies (pain in the ass as they were sealed in tape) and took the panettone out of the box (but not out of the inner plastic bag).

At 1:15 p.m., I started making the cinnamon rolls. First step was to find two round cake pans (they were in the downstairs closet). I greased them after preheating the oven to 350 degrees.

Then I popped the two tubes open. I set the frosting tubs aside and attempted to separate the five rolls. But they were stuck together and not coming cleanly apart (I am used to the ease that the biscuits separate). In a panic, I sent Amanda a text, asking her what I was doing wrong (I know she makes these for Keldon). She laughed and said to just do the best I could, and cut them with a knife if needed.

I popped them in the oven and set the timer for 25 minutes (directions said 25-28 minutes or until golden brown). When they were golden brown I took them out. It said to put the icing on, but I didn't know if I was supposed to do it immediately. So, back to the expert... Amanda said to let them cool a bit and then do it.

I was just finishing when my company showed up. Vicky, Evy Yanessa and a neighbor's son, Alessandro (he's the same age and Yanessa and goes to school with her) all piled out of the car. After the hugs, I took all their coats, hats and scarves and hung them up in the front hall closet (to minimize the cat hair).

Sidebar: Alessandro was wearing a knit hat that looked exactly like Batman's headgear. I said, "Well, who is this?" He said, "I'm Batman!" Evy took off his hat and I said, "So, you're Batman, eh?" He shook his head and said, "No!" I said, "But you just said you were Batman!" He said, "Now I'm Bruce Wayne!" Not bad for a four year old!!!

We visited for a while and then exchanged presents. I got a lovely birthday card, a gift card for Panera Bread and another card (in Spanish) for Christmas. I gave Vicky her birthday present and then everyone's Christmas presents. I apologized to Alessandro for not having a present for him and explained I didn't know he was coming (the neighbor asked at the last minute if they could watch him for a bit). He didn't seem to mind as he had brought some of his new Christmas presents to play with.

I offered them drinks and snacks. Vicky had some cranberry juice, while Yanessa and Alessandro had orange juice. Evy passed. Yanessa and Evy had a cinnamon roll, Alessandro had some cookies and Vicky passed.

Then we chatted about everything, especially the latest news from Puerto Rico. Evy told her sister Mundy they were coming over here and she told her to make sure and tell me Feliz Navidad. They still remember the crazy gringo Vicky brought with her, LOL!

So, the kids played and the adults talked for a while. Then they said they had to get going. I sent everything food-wise home with them (no sense tempting myself). I carried out the food while they strapped the kids in the car. More hugs and I told Vicky to text me when they got home. I waved goodbye from the porch as they drove away. I checked the clock and it was almost 5:00 p.m.

Sidebar: She did send me a text when they got home.

I was hungry, so I warmed up more ham, the other sweet potato and more green beans. Not as good as the first go-round, but still pretty tasty!

I watched the news until 7:00 p.m. then switched to reading. I did watch the Michigan State Bowl Game that came on at 9:00 p.m. (why I don't know). That didn't end until 12:30 a.m., then I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment