Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Monday Moanin'

I woke up on Monday, feeling like shit! My throat felt like I'd been gargling razor blades, my nose was running like a faucet and my face felt like somebody hit it hard with a shovel!

Sidebar: I can only assume I caught this cold from somebody in the theater yesterday.

I ate breakfast and took my pills. I put a pot of water on the stove, brought it to a boil and then turned it so simmer to get some warm moisture in the house. I gargled with salt water to ease the pain in my throat.

I put some pants over my shorts and hauled the trash and recyclables out to the road (before it started snowing).

The snow started falling around 10:00 a.m. It was just a slow, steady snow, the kind that can really build up the inches! The snow quit for a while at 12:30 p.m. (it was supposed to get worse from 3:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.).

I thought I'd make some comfort food for lunch - Campbell's chicken noodle soup. But when I went to the pantry to get some, it was all gone! There was only cream of mushroom, tomato and split pea with ham. Not exactly the light, healthy broth I was hoping for.

So, I decided to make my own!

Sidebar: Yesterday, when I was going through the freezer, looking for a Sunday supper entree, I came across a bag of Tyson Oven Roasted Diced Chicken Breast. WTF? Then I remembered I'd bought it to make chicken salad sandwiches (I like chicken salad) but never used it.

So. I sliced up an onion, diced three celery sticks and three carrots. I salted them and sauteed them in olive oil until they were soft. I added a handful of the still frozen diced chicken and a box of chicken stock. I also added water (about 3/4 of the amount of stock).

I threw in a big handful of dried parsley (you always need more than you think) a pinch of red pepper flakes, a bay leaf, salt and a lot of fresh ground pepper. I let that simmer and get happy for about 20 minutes.

Then I brought it to a boil and added in a half bag of wide egg noodles.

Sidebar: I went with wide egg noodles, rather than Kluski noodles, as I had no plans to freeze leftovers. Wide egg noodles turn to mush once frozen.

I cooked the egg noodles for seven minutes. I taste-tested it and ended up adding more salt. I let it cool a bit, fished out the bay leaf and dished up my lunch.

It was pretty damn good just for using what I had on hand.

I had another bowl for dessert. Then I took a  long nap. When I woke up, my throat hurt again (I must be breathing through my mouth while sleeping). So, I gargled with salt water again.

It started snowing again around 5:30 p.m. It came down pretty heavy at times. I saw video on the local news of the mess it caused during the afternoon rush hour! Glad I was not out in that!!!

My friend B___ called. I answered the phone by saying, "Hello." he said, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

We hadn't talked in a while, so I filled him in on the operation that wasn't.. When we finally hung up, I heated up yet another bowl of soup for my supper.

Courtney sent me a photo of Mike, putting on the insulated hunting suit I gave him. He's not going hunting, he's just going out in the frigid cold to shovel the driveway and sidewalk. Note: She said it fits him perfectly (it was way too big for me these days - I'm melting in my old age). Glad somebody can use it!

I watched the Red Wings lose again. Then I switched to reading until a midnight bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment