Friday, November 24, 2017


I woke up at 6:00 a.m. on Thursday, Thanksgiving. I had a cup of coffee while I filled in the Blog post and then posted some Thanksgiving messages on Facebook.

I had another coffee and watched some of the parade on TV. First time I've seen it in years! I'm usually at Jake and Carla's for Thanksgiving and they don't televise it down there.

I finally started my Thanksgiving dinner. First I made the cranberry sauce. I kind of combined three recipes, BTW. First I dumped the 12 ounces of fresh cranberries onto a half sheet pan and went through them, discarding the few mushy ones (important step, folks). Then I reserved about half a cup of them.

I zested an orange and then squeezed the juice from it (about 1/2 cup). I put that in a sauce pan along with 1/2 cup of water and 3/4 cup plus two tablespoons of sugar. I brought that to a boil and added the cranberries and a cinnamon stick. I turned the heat down and let that simmer for about 10 minutes (until most of the cranberries had burst open).

I took the pan off the heat, fished out the cinnamon stick (while talking with Jake on the phone) and put in the reserved berries. When it was cool, I put it in the fridge to chill.

Then I went outside and got some sage, rosemary and thyme (if I still had any parsley left, I could have written a song!)

I was using an Ina Garten recipe for an herb roasted turkey breast.

I mixed the herbs with three cloves of minced garlic, Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and two tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice I loosened the turkey skin and pushed the herb mixture under it. I turned the oven onto 325 degrees.

I got out my roasting rack and put the orange and lemon skins in it, along with a stick of celery (my idea, not Ina's). She suggested putting a cup of white wine in the pan, but I didn't have any. So, I put a can of chicken broth in. I set the turkey breast on top of the rack and when the oven was ready, I stuck it in.

I also varied from her recipe by melting a stick of butter and basted it several time.

Out for basting.

I still had leftover mashed potatoes, so I heated them in the microwave. I also heated up some frozen mixed vegetables (couldn't find any frozen corn, like I wanted). I made a bag of Pepperidge Farm stuffing, but used turkey stock instead of the chicken they recommended. I also warmed up a jar to turkey gravy.

While the turkey rested, I made some crescent rolls, which I completely forgot about as I plated my dinner.

The smoke alarms reminded me about the rolls. I ate dinner watching the Lions lose to the Vikings. I went back for seconds of the turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce. I topped it with a piece of store-bought pumpkin pie.

I was in a turkey coma, so I left the mess and took a nap. When I woke up, I went to see what kind of mess my kitchen was in.


It took me over an hour to clean up the mess.

I read my book in the living room for a while, then moved to the bed. I went to sleep around midnight but never turned the TV on.

No comments:

Post a Comment