Monday, November 27, 2017


I woke up at 6:00 a.m. again on Sunday. I had a cup of coffee while watching the news. Then I posted my much shorter Blog post. I made some oatmeal for breakfast. Then I did the weekly Sunday chores.

After I emptied the dishwasher, I shaved, showered and got dressed in shorts and a t-shirt. I was going to go and get the wood I needed for Betsy's shelves today. Its sunny, but cold and windy.  However, tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and a high of 50 degrees! So, I think I'll get them tomorrow.

I cleaned both toilets (always fun) and mopped the main bathroom floor. Then I took a break, listening to the news and reading on the bed.

Amanda called and said she and Keldon would pick me up around 12:30 p.m.  This time, we were going out to the Cranbrook Institute of Science. So, I got dressed in more Cranbrook-type clothes and read until she got here.

We took Telegraph to Lone Pine Road and got there in what seemed like no time. It was sunny with no wind when we got there and we agreed to walk the trails after we finished.

They had a family pass, but I had to pay $7.00 to get in. First, we started with the Chocolate exhibit (just what a diabetic needs, right?) It was interesting, going from the Maya's spicy drink, to the expensive European drink, to milk chocolate and finally to today.

We were still too early for the planetarium, so we stopped at the little (and I do mean little - sandwiches and soup only) cafetiere in the Institute of Science. I got a chicken salad sandwich on a croissant and Amanda and Keldon split a turkey club. My chicken salad was just so-so, but the croissant was fantastic! Both Amanda and Keldon raved about their turkey club, but I have had enough turkey, thank you.

Then we went to the Planetarium and saw "The mystery of the Christmas star." It was a fascinating scientific study of both the "star" (if that what it was) and the true date of the birth of Christ, based on the bible, astronomers from Babylon (writing on clay tablets) and Chinese astronomers.

Turns out best guess for the real Christmas is September 15, 7 BC.

Sidebar: The Roman guy who invented our Julian, present day, calendar screwed up.

So, I'm thinking, that lets me off the hook for Christmas cards and presents this year. I missed the real Christmas. :(  Sorry! My bad...

Oh, and by the way, the "star" the Magi followed?

Sidebar: the Magi, which we represent as three in number and kings? No where does it state there were three of them, only three gifts. And there is no indication they were kings, probably just interested astronomers.

The star? A comet was eliminated, as was a meteor.  Most likely it was an overlapping of the planets Saturn and Jupiter (I forget what that is called). It occurred back then (happens every 800 years) and would have been bright enough to excite interest. Plus, it would have lasted a long time.

We left the planetarium and went outside. The wind had picked up and none of us had hats or gloves, so we decided walking the trails would have to wait for another day. Instead, we headed home...

They dropped me off around 3:45 p.m.

Sidebar: Short trip, not too much walking and interesting. Nice adventure!!!

I decided to make some turkey broth/soup so I could pitch the leftovers before trash day Tuesday. So, I headed up the the little market at Beech and Joy and bought some celery (I had used all mine on Thanksgiving). Back home, I filled up both the squirrel and bird feeders while I had my coat on.

Back inside, I changed clothes and then took a nice nap.

When I woke up, I had a cup of coffee and got out my medium-sized stock pot. I put the turkey breast carcass in it and added chunk of unpeeled celery, carrots and onions. I put in enough water to cover everything, plus a handful of whole black peppercorns and another handful of dried parsley (my fresh parsley is dead and gone). I brought that to a boil, then turned it to a simmer. I set the timer for three hours.

When I got hungry, the stock still had an hour to go yet. So, I made a turkey sandwich.

When the timer went off, I poured everything into a colander, covered with cheese cloth and set in a large bowl.

Note: The cheesecloth did NOT stay in place as I'd hoped.

 I sauteed some peeled carrots, diced celery and a diced medium onion in butter.

When they were soft, I added a lot of turkey and some of the stock. I brought that to a boil and threw in a half of a bag of Kluski noodles. I set the timer for 18 minutes. When it went off, I ladled up a delicious bowl of turkey noodle soup.

I read in the living room and went to bed around midnight.


  1. Must be hungry, that soup looks since "Maggie" Hannah's dog has been here, i have not seen one single squirrel in my BACK yard. I should save some money on my birdseed......they eat 7/8's of it. Cranbrook looked interesting and thanks to Amanda for not making you more crippled. " Short trip, not too much walking ..."

  2. The soup was pretty good! I don't have the time or patience to deal with a dog and the squirrels require little maintenance, so I'll stick with them.

    Yes, Amanda is learning how to deal with an "elderly maan" LOL!

  3. Thank God, and thank you Amanda