Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Monday moanin'

I got up for good at 5:30 a.m. I made a cup of coffee and watched the morning news. Yet another massacre, this time in Texas. What the hell is wrong with people these days???

It was only 43 degrees, by the way. It's supposed to be sunny (when the sun does come up) and supposed to stay about the same all week. There is a slight chance of snow on Thursday, but otherwise no precipitation.

I had oatmeal for breakfast. Then I got dressed in shorts and a t-shirt to pull the truck outside.

I moved the cradle out to other sawhorses in the garage. Then I started sanding the paint build up off. It was slow going. The oscillating sandpaper heated up the paint, so the paint quickly clogged the sandpaper.

I worked until 11:30 a.m., then I shaved, showered and got ready to go out. I was supposed to meet Amanda at "What the Pho."

Sidebar: "What the Pho" is a Vietnamese restaurant they built on the old Kentucky Chicken restaurant just down the road from me. And, yes, that is it's real name. Both Fred (at work) and I were excited about it and promised to go together when it was done and opened.  But construction was slow and Fred had a heart attack before it ever opened.

Anyway, Amanda had noticed it and asked me if I ever ate there. I told her the story and said I'd never had Vietnamese cooking before. She said neither had she and we should try it sometimes.

Now today, Dan had asked her to work a split shift (11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. then back again at 5:30 p.m. until 9:30 or so, depending on the customers). The Lions were playing tonight and it is a sports bar, after all.

So, today was the day and we met there for lunch.

Now, Pho is Vietnamese soup, served in a huge bowl. I was picturing the Undon noodle soup both Carla and I loved at the Japanese restaurant in Columbia, S.C. But that place flooded out a few years back and was never rebuilt (to my knowledge).

When the waiter finally asked (the guy put the "wait" in waiter), Amanda ordered the Pho Bo (beef) and I ordered the Pho Ga (chicken). We each had a "summer roll" with dipping sauce.

The summer roll was mostly rice and the dipping sauce a little too sweet for me.

My Pho had a lot of noodles, a lot of chicken and little of anything else besides a few thin sliced radishes. The nicest thing I could say about the broth was it was "light" and if you like light, you would be happy.

I like hearty (like the Japanese soup) so this was boring. It tasted like someone watered down chicken broth. I ate as much as I could as is. Then I added a LOT of salt, but that didn't help.

Amanda didn't like hers any better, BTW, and most of it and the rest of the summer rolls were still on the table when we left.

Sidebar: There is another Vietnamese restaurant at Joy and Beech Daly. I think I will try that one day to see if it was the Vietnamese cuisine or just What the Pho's version of it that sucks.

Amanda left to get Keldon from school and rest a bit before going back to work. I went home, changed clothes, and sanded more of the cradle. I quit around 4:00 p.m. as the cold and the cement floor in the garage was getting to my knees.

I made three Tyson chicken strips in the microwave and Kroger crinkle cut fries in the oven for dinner.

I watched the Lions game and the Red Wings game (switching back between them). They both won, but it took the Lions a long time, so it was almost midnight when I turned the TV off and went to bed. Just before I fell asleep, the phone rang. It was Amanda, who was finally leaving for home. Seemed the customers just kept coming. She made some good tip money, though, so she wasn't complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment