Saturday, November 4, 2017


I woke up at 6:25 a.m. on Friday. I wrote out the long Blog post and this time it took three cups of coffee.

I ate two Eggo waffles for breakfast. Then I shaved, showered and got dressed for working at home again.

I started on the cradle again. I took a break to call around to the lumber yards in the area. I am looking for 5/4-inch thick boards for Courtney's table. One place (just down the road) said they don't carry lumber at all, just building supplies. The other one (there are only two, apparently) passed me along to a salesman, who said he had heard of it, but they didn't carry it. Damn!

I took another break around 12:15 to eat some lunch (another sandwich).

The sun had been out for a while, so I switched to picking up black walnuts for one of Amanda's older friends. Her grandson and Keldon both go to the same school.

I got my garden rake from the shed, an old milk crate and my picker-upper (a crip tool I got when my spine was fused).

First, I raked an area of the driveway (my truck and Amanda's car had pushed lots of them into the gravel). Then I started picking them up with my handicapper tool (it worked great, BTW) and putting them in the milk crate.

I quit when I had two layers in the milk crate. The nuts are all damp and some have bits of the outer skin still attached. I need to dry them. I got out the little stool from the bathroom and set the crate on it, next to the kitchen heat register.

Nut harvesting
Drying the first batch
Crate I'll put them in (I want it back!!!)
I filled up both the bird feeder and the squirrel feeder. Then I went back inside.

I had two smaller-sized eggplant. I was going to make them into eggplant Parmesan, but I think I've got enough Italian leftovers. So, I just fried them up after peeling, slicing, dredging in eggs and then flour and frying in batches in canola oil.

I let them drain for a bit on a rack over paper towels. Then I plated half of them, salted them and had a great veggie meal.

I watched some TV but started nodding off around 10:30 p.m., so I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment