Wednesday, October 25, 2017


It was in the mid-50's and raining when I woke up on Tuesday. The high today was only predicated to be in the mid-50's, BTW.

I made soft-boiled eggs for breakfast.

I watched the news until 9:00 a.m. Then I called my barber. The next appointment she had open today was at 11:30 a.m., but I took it. I swept the kitchen floor (I had tracked in sawdust) and started a load of laundry. I finally shaved, showered and got dressed. Then I left to get my haircut.

From there, I went to Kroger's. It was raining hard, so I put on my raincoat before exiting the truck.

I got the few things I needed and made two impulse buys: plums and a roast.

Sidebar: I like plums and they were on sale. As for the roast, the weather seems to be calling for one!

I checked out and went outside into brilliant sunshine? What the hell? Oh, yeah, Michigan weather.

I got home just before 1:00 p.m. I left the truck outside and unloaded the groceries. I got out the round slow cooker (it's a small roast, but all I need). I cut up two Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut up three carrots, peeled two cloves of garlic and threw everything into the slow cooker. I seasoned the roast with just salt and pepper and put that on top. I added in half a can of beef broth and a touch of Kitchen Bouquet (my Mother's umami secret).

I turned the heat to High so I could eat dinner at a sensible time. Then I made some split pea and ham soup for lunch.

Sidebar: My Kroger no longer carries this soup!!! I have to go to that little grocery store to buy it now. Seems Kroger drops anything that not enough people buy. But, personally, I love that stuff!

While I still had my go-to-town clothes on, I went to CVS to pick up my prescriptions. I gave them my new insurance card to put on file. They messed around a while and finally came back. They said they would fill the prescriptions now that I had insurance. I said I'd be back. She asked if I wanted the Celebrex filled. I said, "Of course! I can't move without it. Why?" She said all the other co-pays were normal, but the Celebrex was $90.00! I said, "No, no, I take the generic brand." She said, "That is for the generic brand!" Damn!!!  I told her again I cannot function without it, so I'd pay the co-pay.

When I left the store, I found the rain had returned and the wind had picked up dramatically. Damn near blew me over!!!

Back home, I had branches down in the front yard. I figured I'd move them when the rain stopped.

I changed into my painting shorts and t-shirt but realized two things. One, I left the window open in the garage and it was really cold in there. Two, I left the paint can on the garage floor, so the paint is cold, too.

It was getting late, so I closed the window, took the paint inside to warm up overnight and gave up on the whole painting today thing. I pulled the truck inside and buttoned it up for the night.

I put the clothes in the dryer and moved on to other little things.When the dryer stopped, I folded /hung up the clothes and put them away.

I checked the internal temperature of the roast. It was just over 150 degrees (the high end of medium rare and the low end of medium). So, I pulled it out and put it on a platter. I used a slotted spoon to take out some of the veggies and cut some slices of the roast. It  looked so pretty I took a picture!

I posted this on Facebook and got a lot of responses. Leon said he had made beef stew, but everyone else seemed to share my "Fall Feast" idea.

I plated up my dinner after I made a mixture of equal parts mayonnaise and horseradish to sauce the beef with. Then I ate it. The veggies were outstanding. The beef tasted great, but was a little tough. I think if I had the time to cook it on LOW, it might not have been that tough or maybe it was just the cut of beef. It was a boneless beef top round roast, but I bought it more for the size than the cut.

I let everything cool and then put the roast in one baggie and the veggies in another. Both baggies went into the fridge and I washed the slow cooker. Then I settled in to watch my NCIS shows.

About 8:45 p.m., I got a text from Amanda. It was just a photo of a box of Cheez-Its I sent her a question mark back. She said that was her dinner, but my roast looked so good she wanted some.

Sidebar: She and Annie have a weekly date to watch "girly" shows that Scott doesn't like. So, he stays home and plays video games and she goes to Annie's to watch their shows. Annie lives about a mile from me, BTW.

I said its all in the fridge (I practice safe food). She said that's what microwaves are for. I said, "So you want to come over, eat dinner and miss your shows?" She said, "No, silly. I was hoping to stop over, pick up some food, take it back to Annie's to warm up and watch the show."

I told her to give me time to put my pants on. I opened the front door (after I put my pants on, LOL) and took out the leftovers and a paper plate. She showed up then, so I let her tell me how much food she wanted (not a lot - she eats like a bird). I asked her if she wanted some sauce with it. She asked what was in it. I told her mayonnaise and horseradish. She said, "You had me at mayonnaise, but lost me with horseradish."

I covered the paper plate with cling wrap and aluminum foil, handed it to her and she left. I put the leftovers away, while shaking my head...

Sidebar: Thinking of putting a sign up out front: "Papa John's Takeout."

I watched the rest of NCIS and then NCIS New Orleans. I watched the 11:00 p.m. news and the monologue on the Tonight show. Then I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment