Friday, October 27, 2017


It was damn cold outside on Thursday morning (36 degrees here and below freezing elsewhere). I made scrambled eggs for breakfast with rye toast. I topped that off with my second cup of coffee and I was ready to go!

I ran the dishwasher after loading the breakfast dishes. Then I shaved, showered and got dressed.

I left for an errand around 10:30 a.m. I was on Ford Road so, on a whim, I stopped in at Dos Hermanos restaurant and market for lunch. I had my usual enchiladas. Best Mexican rice I ever had (not quite as good as Puerto Rican, of course). Had to drink the whole glass of horchata (rice water) myself instead of sharing it with Vicky. But, just being there brought back a lot of happy memories. Good times... Good times...

Sidebar: We convinced Michelle Pace to come with us once, so I was thinking about her as well.

I got back home around 12:30 p.m. I left the truck outside, thinking I would do some painting on the cradle. But, I used the toilet and it rocked. That reminded me I had another project that needed to be addressed.

So, I went to take the toilet off. If you remember, one of the bolts that hold it to the floor flange had rusted through. Well, on the other one, the nut had rusted to the bolt! I tried everything: pliers, channel-locks, vice grips and even a small pipe wrench. Nothing would budge it and all I managed to do was to round the nut.

I couldn't find Jake's electric grinder (it's in one of the boxes that are everywhere). So I ended up using the Dumore and a stone wheel. It took forever and I wore the stone down, but I finally cut it off.

I disconnected the water line to the toilet, flushed it one last time and then pulled it off.

Sidebar: That sucker was heavy!

I set it on a towel to catch the water and proceeded to scrape off the old wax from the flange. I used a putty knife, but it took a long, long time.

I put in the new bolts and the wax ring assembly. I started to put the toilet on (still heavy) but realized I had the assembly on upside down. I set the toilet back on the towel and reversed the assembly.

I picked up the toilet (again) and set it in place. The toilet was about an inch off the floor!!! I checked the instructions and it said if the toilet wouldn't sit flush, I needed to take out the black insert inside the assembly. OMG!!!

I took off the toilet, took off the assembly and removed the black insert. I picked up the toilet one last time and set it in place. I put the washers and nuts on the bolts and tightened them down.

The toilet was secured, but seemed like it tipped forward. So, I got a level. I determined it was, so I stuck a toilet shim (yes, they make those - I've used them before) in the front. I hooked the water line back up and floshed the toilet several times. No leaks!!!

I still needed to cut the bolts down so the little white caps would fit, but it was already 5:30 p.m. and my back hurt. So, I quit for the day.

I got the mail and pulled the truck inside.

I washed up and made the last two hot dogs for dinner. This time my side was a can of Bush's baked beans.

I watched the hockey game after calling Melissa to confirm my weekend visit.

We lost the hockey game, so I switched to reading until bedtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment