Friday, October 20, 2017


I woke up at 6:00 a.m. on Thursday. I ate waffles for breakfast and had two cups of coffee before dressing in my work clothes. I watched the news for a bit, then posted to the Blog.

I finally pulled the truck out of the garage around 9:00 a.m. It was still cool, by the way.

I closed the garage door and, inside, I set up my sawhorses, got out the track saw and began cutting out the cradle sides.

Sidebar: There are angles EVERYWHERE and the track saw is invaluable. I can't believe I was able to make Yanessa's cradle (which was much more complicated) four years ago without it! Thanks again to Jake and Carla for that awesome Christmas present!!!

I got the sides cut out and then made the curve with the saber saw. Next came a lot of sanding with both the belt sander and the orbital sander. I quit around 11:30 a.m. I needed a break from standing on the cement garage floor and to breath some fresh air. I opened up the garage door and swept up the sawdust to date

I made a cup of coffee and sat on the porch rocker for a while. It had warmed up nicely. Then I made a quick trip to Home Depot to buy the paint.

Sidebar: Yes, I said paint, not stain. I think that's a little weird, but it saved me from applying a ton of birch veneer edging. What seems even weirder is her color choice (I would have guessed white, pink or blue). She said the nursery colors with be white and slate and could I paint it slate.

So, I got some slate paint (hey, I just have to make it. I don't have to live with it, LOL). I grabbed a hot dog on the way out for my lunch. I ate it in the truck and then drove back home.

I started assembling the front and back with glue and nails from the air gun.

Sidebar: The 15 degree angles I mentioned made that quite difficult. You not only had to hold two angled pieces in place but then nail in the right spot, at an angle. This would have been easier if I had another person to hold stuff!

The sides were a bit easier, nailing them to the front and back. But it was more difficult to nail them blind, on an angle from the bottom board.

I quit around 6:00 p.m. I swept up the sawdust again.

Then I took a couple photos of the progress to date.

I set the cradle aside (to let the glue dry overnight), disassembled my work table and pulled the truck inside.

I disrobed and put my sawdust-covered clothes in the washer. I took a rinse-off shower and then got "dressed" in my bathrobe and slippers (I was beat and had no intention of going anywhere).

I warmed up the last of the kielbasa and sauerkraut for dinner.

I started watching taped TV shows, but crashed like a rock before 9:30 p.m.


  1. She is a woman named Annie, who is having her first baby. I have never met her, but she is Amanda's best friend and Amanda asked me to make it for her.

    What is somewhat ironic is that it is made almost entirely out of left over wood from Keldon's toy box.