Monday, October 23, 2017

Sunday, Sunday...

It was warmer than usual when I woke up on Sunday morning. I took my time easing into the day, since I can't do any work in the garage until after 9:00 a.m.

Sidebar: I would not start sanding before 9:00 a.m. any more than I would cut the grass. Both make too much noise. When the weekend comes, I let people sleep in!

So, I shaved, showered and got dressed in shorts and a t-shirt. Then, I did the Sunday chores, ran the dishwasher, swept the kitchen floor and so on.

Finally, I pulled the truck outside and set up my workshop. I sanded the wood putty flush with 120 grit sandpaper on the orbital sander. Then I sanded every surface of the cradle with 220 grit paper until the whole thing was smooth as a baby's butt.

It was almost noon when I started painting it with white primer. When I was done (well, there are a few drips I will have to attend to once it dries), I took some photos for you.

It looks nice white and I kinda hate to paint it slate gray. But, the customer is always right, right?

By then, it was beautiful outside. According to the weatherman, this will be the unofficial last day of summer, LOL! I decided to celebrate since I am not looking forward to winter. So, I figured I'd use the grill one last time.

But, I didn't have anything thawed out to grill. So, I changed clothes (but still wearing primer here and there, LOL) and drove to that little grocery store on Joy and Beech Daly.

Now, I wouldn't buy meat there (too scary), but I thought packaged hot dogs would be okay. Of course, they didn't carry my brand, but I did find natural casing Dearborn brand dogs. I grabbed them and a package of off-brand buns - that's all they carried) and headed for the checkout.

But to get there, I had to pass the counter for JayDee's soulFOOD.

Sidebar: That's how she spells it.

Sidebar: I think I told you they have a little soul food takeout restaurant inside the store. They don't open until 11:00 a.m., so I have never seen their offerings before. It all looked pretty tasty, but I was grilling today!

I decided to compromise and bought a side of mac and cheese. A medium takeout container cost me almost $5.00, so it better be good!

Back home, I changed back into shorts and a t-shirt. I sat on the front porch in the rocking chair and drank a Lipton's peach ice tea while I people-watched.

It was 76 degrees, BTW. It might feel like summer, but it gets dark early these days. So, I started dinner.

I had a container of Brussels sprouts for another dinner that I never made. So, I trimmed them up, put them in a big baggie with olive oil, salt and pepper.  I shook that up and put them on a foil covered half sheet tray. I set the stove timer for 45 minutes (I didn't cut them in half, like I usually do, so the roast time was twice as long). I set another timer for seven minutes to remind myself to shake the tray so they didn't burn. I did that every seven minutes until they were done.

I started the charcoal. When the coals were ready, I dumped them and then cleaned and oiled the grill. Next I put the dogs on. I grilled them to perfection!

I pulled the Brussels sprout out and let everything rest a bit while I heated the mac & cheese in the microwave. I plated two hot dogs, some of the Brussels sprouts and some of the mac and cheese.

Oh, my, that all tasted good!!!

Sidebar: The mac and cheese was made with shells rather than elbow macaroni. I was a little afraid it would be made with Velveeta, but I could taste at least two different cheeses. Not sure it was worth the money, but it was damn good. In fact, it was the only thing that I ate seconds of.

I let everything sit to cool (except for the mac and cheese - that was gone, LOL!) and started watching a football game. Vicky sent me her usual good night text (we exchange daily morning and evening texts in lieu of visiting) and added  an emoji. It was sleeping with z's coming out of its mouth. I responded by texting, "Buenas noches, chica. That's exactly how I feel!"

And I did. I know this because I fell asleep about 10 minutes into the game.

I woke up around 10:30 p.m. I put the food away, cleaned up the kitchen counters and went to bed for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment