Sunday, October 22, 2017

Saturday's Story

I woke up early on Saturday morning. I ate some breakfast and my pills. Then I shaved, showered and got dressed for a road trip.

While I was waiting for my ride, I pulled the truck out and set up my work shop. I was hoping to paint the cradle (or at least prime it) today. Annie's shower is on Sunday (tomorrow).

Amanda was a little late, but she and Keldon showed up at 9:45 a.m. Amanda took a selfie of herself with her witch hat on in the living room.

Then, I hopped in the car and we took off for Maybury Farm in Northville.

Sidebar: If you remember last weekend's post, we showed up here only to find it was cancelled due to rain.

I'll just let the pictures (a combination of hers and mine) speak for themselves.

Good band playing old favorites
Obligatory face painting

Keldon's turn
Big-ass horse!!!
Baby lambs
Hayride selfie

Bee hives on the hayride

Soy bean field and fall colors on hay ride

Beginning of the dreaded corn maze
Costume contest (he didn't win)

We got there early enough there were no lines to the various games and crafts tents. Keldon painted a pumpkin and a paper plate fish. He played various ring toss and golf games. He and his mother both made beeswax candles. We all made corn husk dolls (I'll take a picture when it finally dries).

Amanda and I both had a hot dog (Keldon said he wasn't hungry). The hot dogs were terrible! They were cooked on a charcoal grill and that's hard to mess up. Only thing I can think of is that they used really cheap hot dogs.

We looked at all the animals until it was time for a hayride.This wagon (I should have taken a picture, dammit) did not have a step, it had stairs!!! Perfect!!!

We got off the hayride at the corn maze. It was divided into two parts (1-7 year old  and 7- adult). We did the 1-7 year old one first. It was fun, but the walk wore me out. So, when we completed that and they wanted to do the adult one, I passed. I sat on a bench and waited for them.

Sidebar: When they got back, Amanda said the adult one wasn't any harder than the little kid one, just longer.

We got back in time for Keldon to enter the costume contest. He was disappointed he didn't win, but got over it.

We finally had enough and headed back home, which was good. Amanda had to work a short shift this afternoon and I had to work on the cradle.

Back in Livonia, we all hungry. So, we stopped at Daly's for a quick lunch. I had a Philly Cheese Steak sandwich (that was delicious) and shared some of Amanda's chili cheese fries (not a big fan of chili cheese fries, myself).

Back home, they took off and I changed clothes. My plan was to finish-sand the cradle and prime it. Then I'd set the alarm and wake up really early (so it would be dry by 11:00 a.m.) and paint it.

But, whe I was sanding it, I found three places in need of wood putty (how the hell did I miss those?) So, I sanded the cradle and then put on the wood putty. It had to dry overnight, so cradle work ended at 6:00 p.m. I disassembled the work shop and pulled the truck inside.

Sidebar: You may be wondering why I pull the truck in at night and not just leave it outside, as I have in the past. Well, there have been a rash of broken windows and cars and truck being robbed (usually just for change) in nearby Livonia. I don't need that kind of hassle, so the truck goes inside.

I changed clothes and took a rinse-off shower. I started watching the Michigan football game but promptly fell asleep.

When I woke up, I was hungry but didn't feel like leftovers and "dinner." So, I made a tuna fish sandwich with small diced onions and served on toasted sourdough bread. I ate some green olives with it and it was perfect!!!

I watched the 11:00 p.m. news and then went to bed.