Monday, October 30, 2017

Road Trip

I finally made my bacon on Sunday morning. I cooked the whole pound of thick cut bacon in the oven (after sprinkling it with coarse ground black pepper).

When it was done and on paper towels to drain, I made two pieces of toast. I ate three pieces of bacon with the toast. The rest of the bacon was left to cool and eventually ended up in the fridge.

I didn't really have any time to start anything, so I just did the normal Sunday morning chores. Then I shaved, showered and got dressed for a road trip.

Amanda and Keldon picked me up around 11:00 a.m. and we headed out, bound for Oxford and Dave and Melissa's house.

Sidebar: When Melissa and I talked on Wednesday, I asked her if they would be up for a visit this weekend. I meant a visit from me. But she insisted I invite Amanda and Keldon as well. That confused me! But I later learned she didn't want me making the long drive alone.

Why is everyone worrying about me these days???

Anyway, the "long" drive wasn't all that long. It was just like driving out to the cottage when Mom was still alive, but then driving eight miles further.

Dave was raking leaves when we got there. After introductions, we went inside for more introductions with Melissa.

The house is really, really cute, BTW. I believe the style is called a bungalow. It's a four bedroom (although one is now Dave's office) house with two bathrooms.

I wish now I had come to see it when they first bought it, as the "before" description is hard to believe when you look at it now. I should have taken pictures for you!!!

The downstairs is more or less complete (still some trim issues to resolve). Upstairs, only the bathroom has been touched.

According to Dave, they have had their problems with the remodel, but it turned out amazing (at least to me).

We had some pulled pork sandwiches with coleslaw for lunch (along with the best carrot cake cupcakes I ever tasted for dessert). And, then we had to leave.

Sidebar: When I invited her, Amanda said the only problem was that she had a previous commitment with two other parents to go to a kid-friendly haunted house. So, we would have to leave at 4:30 p.m. I ran this by Melissa, not wanting to eat and run. She said that was fine as she probably would want to throw me out by then anyway.

But, Amanda had the event time wrong. It started two hours earlier than she told me (and I told Melissa). So, we had to leave at 2:30 p.m.!

So, we ate and ran... :(

On the way back, Amanda suggested I come with them. At first I said, "Sure." But, then I thought about it.  My back still hurt from toilet wrestling and my legs were hurting from the long walk in Greenfield Village. So, I apologized, but declined her offer.

Keldon changed into his costume at the house when the dropped me off. Then they were gone. I took an extra Celebrex and a nap.

I warmed up two slices of bacon and made a toasted BLT for dinner.

I laid down again after cleaning up the kitchen.

I watched the Lion's lose and then went to sleep.

1 comment:

  1. “Why is everyone worrying about me these days???”

    You’ve got an established history of not taking care of yourself, complete with an equally well established history of being offended by a massive list of family members that care about you. You don’t take particularly great care of yourself now, and you’ve recently made the dumbass decision to make an abrupt retirement with all of zero planning. So, there’s that…

    It’s cool that Amanda takes the time to find all of these Halloween events. What a great way to make the most of her son’s costume.