Thursday, September 28, 2017

Hump Day

I woke up early again on Wednesday. This is getting ridiculous! I'm retired and should be sleeping in!!!

 I had a cup of coffee while I filled in the Blog post. Then I ate some oatmeal while watching the national news.

A cold front is supposed to move through today and bring our temperatures down to more reasonable, Fall-like highs and lows. So, I have one mission today: buy a room humidifier.

Sidebar: Years ago, I used to put the old one up in the attic for the summer and then try to reuse it the next year. They always failed at one point or another. So, now I pitch them in the Spring and buy a new one in the Fall.

I have bought them at various stores and, recently, at CVS. Never noticed much of a price difference, either at the stores or on the various makes and models. I thought I'd try Target this year.

Sidebar: My only requirement is that they hold a gallon of water and will last for 24 hours.

So, I shaved, showered and got dressed.

I went to Target and found one that looked like it would work. Then I bought something I haven't bought in a good 30 years! A pair of Wrangler blue jeans!!!

Sidebar: I used to wear them when we lived on the Palms Road farm and I worked in a factory. But they never fit right and I didn't (don't) have the hips or butt to hold them up. What I do instead is to take the worst pair of office pants I have and those become the ones I paint or stain things in. The second worst pair becomes the ones I work around the house in. This allows me to make quick trips to Home Depot without changing.

But, my worst pair was now three or four years old and have rips and tears in them. They are also two sizes too big. I threw them away. And, my second worst pair has all kinds of threads hanging from the cuffs and there's a hole in the ass area. So they are now my painting pants.

But the four remaining office pants I have are also too big. So, I broke down and bought blue jeans to work around the house in. Hopefully they will last longer.

I had seen a segment on Channel 4 news about a restaurant near me (not sure when it opened) called "Just a little bit of soul" that I wanted to try. It's on Plymouth Road, just east of Beech Daly (so right down the street). I had checked the online reviews and they got five stars!

I got there around 11:50 a.m. (they usually open at 11:00). But when I walked to the door, there was a hand written sign taped to the glass, saying they would be opening at noon today. I went back to the truck and listened to the radio. At 12:05 I walked back and the door was still locked. I stood there for a long time, hoping somebody would notice me. Finally I gave up and walked back to the truck. Just then, the owner opened the front door and called to me. She said they were having a problem and would probably not open until 1:00 p.m. I asked her if she thought they would be open at 11:00 a.m. on Thursday and she assured me they would be. I told her I'd be back then.

So, no soul food for me today! I went home and set up the humidifier after I put away the air purifier I use in the summer.

Then I warmed up a hotdog and the rest of the beans for my lunch. Not exactly soul food, but it filled me up.

I did more hand sanding on the toy box edging in the afternoon.

At 5:00 p.m., I washed up and changed clothes. I left at 5:45 p.m. to go to Bingo with Amanda and her mother. This had been planned before Monday's surprise hockey game.

Neither Amanda nor I won a damn thing (I have yet to win at all). But Fran (Amanda's mother) won about $50.00.

Afterwards, they wanted to get some ice cream. So, Amanda talked to somebody (the head Elk?) who said I could leave my truck in the parking lot. I climbed in the back of her car and we drove to the only Baskin Robbins she could find that was open after 10:00 p.m.

It was windy and cold, BTW. I should have brought a jacket but it was still warm at 6:00 p.m. and I never though of it.

Amanda got her usual shake, Fran got two scoops of ice cream on a waffle cone and I got one scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream on a regular cone. I finished mine before we got back to my truck.

We made our goodbyes and I drove home. I got there just after 10:30 p.m. I changed clothes, took my evening pills and watched the news. I turned the air conditioner off and the heat on. Then I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment