Saturday, August 26, 2017


I woke up at 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday. I skipped breakfast (wasn't that hungry) and had a cup of that horrible coffee while I watched the news.

I finally got off my ass and shaved, showered and got dressed. I got dressed in my long, ratty work pants and a t-shirt. It was nice and sunny at the time, but only in the 60's and windy. Perfect day for yard work!

But, first I ironed on another section of veneer edging to the toy box. That's the last of the actual toy box. Now all I need to do is the four sides of the lid. I managed to get up off the floor when I was done.

Sidebar: I have mastered this. I no longer get down on my hands and knees (which I had to in this case) unless I position a kitchen chair nearby. I use that to muscle my way back up since my legs no longer help that much.

I opened the front windows to air out the house (the downstairs one has been opened since the bleach incident). I turned on the air purifier in the bedroom so my allergies don't stuff up my nose tonight.

I unplugged the iron and went out back to the shed. I got out the wheel barrow and various tools and went up front.

First, I cut off the black walnut branches that were drooping on my fence from the neighbor's tree.

Sidebar: Not sure why black walnuts do that. When I could get up a ladder, I cut the branches on my tree some 30 feet in the air. Now one of then has drooped enough to nearly touch the truck when I pull in.

I had to smile. If you long time readers remember, I had a crew of kids who helped me in the yard. I paid them and told them to call me Papa John. They are probably in middle school, these days. Well today, another group of little kids on bikes kept going by and kept yelling, "Hello Papa John!"

I am apparently a legend (in my own mind) in the neighborhood.

So, I trimmed the bushes up front.
 Then I started on trimming back the iris. But I only got the ones in front of the porch before my back started hurting.

I put everything away and went inside. I took a nice nap. Then I warmed up the sausage and sauerkraut for dinner. (I am getting sick of it, BTW.) Then I watched TV until the wee hours of the night.


  1. so....Your PapaJohn....and I'm PapaFish

  2. Guess we're stuck with it by now.My grandson, Carl V still calls me that.