Wednesday, August 2, 2017

"I'm your handyman..."

I set the alarm for 6:30 s.m. to get the trash out to the road by 7:00. The new trash guys pick it up early and I missed it last week.

Then I threw on some clothes and was at the Home Depot by 7:30 a.m. I was standing in the plumbing section, trying to figure out which replacement to buy, when a Home Depot guy offered to help. I told him I had a Crane toilet and he said he was not familiar with what that looked like. I told him I'd taken a picture of the inside before I left home and showed it to him. He said, "Oh, okay. You want this one."

Sidebar: Thank God for cell phone cameras.

Back home, I got to work. Hardest part was get up off the floor (twice) and by 9:00 a.m. the toilet was fixed!

Sidebar: The new toilet guts don't have that big bulb on the long rod. Now they use a float on the tube itself.

I finally shaved, showered and got dressed in shorts and a t-shirt. I went out and retrieved the trashcan.

I checked on the front container planters and, sure enough, they were dry. So, I hand watered them and then the ones out back. I used the rain wand to water the raised bed herb garden as well.

I got dressed in town clothes and went and got my haircut at noon. I realized that, with my early start this morning, I hadn't eaten breakfast nor taken my pills. So, I stopped at the Subway's on the way home and got a foot-long BMT.

Sidebar: I haven't had one in a long, long time.

When I got home, I changed back into shorts and my t-shirt (it was getting warm out there), took my pills and ate half the sandwich. The other half will be Wednesday's lunch or dinner.

I took a break and started reading my book on the lift chair in the living room. It was so nice sitting there, with Caley purring on my lap, that I fell asleep.

I woke up to the doorbell. It was Amanda and it was almost 4:00 p.m.

She said she was supposed to hook up with her girlfriend, but Annie got hung up at her work. She asked if she could hang out for a bit, rather than driving back home to Dearborn and then back here. I said sure.

So, we sat on the front porch and chatted.

When it was after 5:00 p.m. and still no sign of Annie, I suggested going out for dinner. We finally agreed on Olive Garden (haven't been there in years, either). So, I changed into town clothes for the third time today.

We ordered an appetizer (calamari, stuffed mushroom with clams and toasted beef and pork ravioli), the obligatory salad and bread sticks and split an entree of ravioli di portobella. When they brought the entree, it was already on two plates (rather than on one with an extra plate), which I thought was nice.

Sidebar: Everything was excellent, except for the stuffed mushroom with clams.  We both agreed they were disappointing.

Neither of us could finish the ravioli di portobella, so Amanda took the rest home in a box.

Back on San Jose, Annie finally sent a text that she was home, so Amanda left. I changed back into shorts and t-shirt again, LOL!

I watched the rest of the news and then read my book until NCIS came on. Then it was back to the book until NCIS New Orleans. I read my book for an hour afterwards and then went to bed.

Sidebar: For weeks now, I have had real problems falling asleep. Then I saw something on one of the news shows that said if you watch TV or work on the computer, then try and fall asleep, it can be difficult (too much stimulation) Hmmm... So, for the past two days, I have been reading for the last hour of the day and it really helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment