Sunday, August 27, 2017


I woke up late on Saturday (my now usual routine). I had left two windows open so the house was freakin' cold! I warmed up two sausage biscuits for breakfast, but for some reason, they tasted like shit. I choked down one and threw the other away.

I shaved, showered and got dressed. Then I headed to Kroger's.

Now, I was invited to a bonfire at Amanda and Scott's house tonight. She was making ribs and corn. My only responsibility was to bring a fruit salad, Papst Blue Ribbon beer and some firewood.

So, I checked out recipes on Food Network and decided on a chef Robert Irvine one. It sounded simple, but good.

However, I spent a small fortune on the fruit!

I bought a small, seedless watermelon, a cantaloupe, white grapes, a pint of raspberries, a pint of blue berries, a quart of strawberries, a pineapple,  and three Granny Smith apples.

I couldn't find a 12 pack of Papst, so I ended up buying a 30 can box. I grabbed two bundles of wood as well. And, a jug of orange juice.

Back home, I started on the fruit salad.

Now, I have a big (BIG) bowl. But I realized this would not all fit.So, I diced up half of the watermelon (I saved the rest for Keldon, who loves watermelon). I also diced up half of the cantaloupe. Then I rinsed and added the raspberry, and blue berries. I cleaned off two cups of white grapes and added them as well. Then I peeled the pineapple, cored it and diced that up. I cut up two Granny Smith apples, drenched them with lemon juice so they would not brown up and put them in the bowl.

I gently folded them all together and added a cup of orange juice. I put as much as I could in my largest Tupperware bowl. Then I headed out about 5:30 p.m. They live in Dearborn, so it was about a 25 minute drive.

Amanda was getting her baby back ribs out of the oven and her corn out of the pot.

Sidebar: No offense, but who boils corn? My mother. But I didn't see a grill in their small back yard, so I guess I understand.

Anyway, the ribs were fantastic. I had half an ear of corn with butter and salt and some of that damn fruit salad. It was all delicious.

Scott started the bonfire and we all just chilled.

I did break down and had a beer. I left around 10:30 p.m. I was getting cold (should have worn a coat) and it was Keldon's bedtime. So, I got on the Southfield freeway and took it to I-96. I was home in no time.

I wasn't tired, so, I grabbed a DVD from my collection. It was "The long kiss goodnight" starring Geena Davis and Samuel L. Jackson. I think its his best work, BTW. When it finished, I went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment