Friday, March 17, 2017


It was a little warmer on Thursday. It was also sunny, which was nice.

With all the excitement regarding the trip and the tires, you probably thought I completely forgot the washing machine. Well, I didn't. So, first thing Monday morning, I called a local washer repairman. The firm was called Homeline, located here in Redford and it's supposed to be a husband and wife team.

I described the problem and gave her my guess that it was a defective computer module. She said, "Maybe" but added sometimes the locking lid mechanism gets out of wack and, when it starts to spin, the lid opens and shuts off the machine.

Sidebar: I hadn't even thought of that.

She said her husband was already booked for Tuesday and Wednesday. Since I lived so close, she said she would get me on his Thursday list for either the first thing or the last and she would call and let me know.

So, today, she called at 9:00 a.m. and said he would be there in 10 minutes! I said, please make it 20 as I was at work and would have to drive back home. So, she did and I did.

He pulled in about 10 minutes later.

Sidebar: When I read in the reviews that hey were a husband and wife team, I pictured him as middle aged or even older. But, he did look much older that, say, 30 years old!

I got another surprise.He took out a piece of paper with holes in it that corresponded to the lights over each cycle. They had numbers over the holes. He turned the dial through each of the various wash cycles (delicate, heavy, etc)  The lights would all go on and then only one was left. He wrote the number down. Intrigued, I asked him what he was doing. He said he was getting the fault codes!

Sidebar: Makes sense with the on-board computer. Just never realized a washing machine was that smart. It turned out I had a bad actuator. He had one in his van, so he went and got that and a work light. He tipped the wash machine up enough to work under it and replaced it.



Sidebar: This tells the computer the spin cycle has started and keeps the spin at the appropriate speed. My old one apparently wasn't always telling the computer it was spinning,so it would shut off.

It took him about 20 minutes, tops. He cleared the fault codes and then did a trial spin. It worked perfectly!

It cost me $206.00 which is less than half the cost of a new washer.

Sidebar: He did say that, if it had been either the computer or the transmission, it would be cheaper to just buy another washer. Good to know.

I got back to work just after 10:00 a.m.

I had a Reuben sandwich with fries for lunch. It was 37 degrees and sunny at lunch time, BTW.

On the way home, I stopped at the Chinese takeout next to CVS to get some chicken fried rice (I didn't take anything out for dinner). But they were closed! Hmmm... Odd... Then I noticed there were no cars in front of Planet Fitness (there are usually 50-75 cars parked with more coming and going all the time). Then I noticed a DTE boom truck, next the wall behind my house, with a guy up in the bucket, working on the lines. Ah, I get it.

So, I went home and treated the cat. I went out back and refilled the bird feeder with soggy seed. I put the rest of the seed (frozen) on the patio to thaw and turned the can upside down to get therest of the frozen seed out. I searched and finally found the lid near the house. I set that on the raised bed herb garden to thaw as well.

Back inside, I made some pasta and heated up a jar of sauce. I ate some of that watching the last of the news.

Then I turned off the TV and got started on the built-up laundry. I did two full loads, reading in between switching loads, hanging up shirts and pants and folding up the rest. i was done by 10:30 p.m., so I just went to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment