Sunday, February 26, 2017

The Saturday Show.

I didn't sleep well again. I also didn't set my alarm (I always get up early, so why bother?). Of course today, I slept in (after waking up all night long) and had to hustle to make my 9:00 a.m. haircut.

From there, I went to Kroger's for a few items. Finally I hit up Costco for more peanuts for the squirrels. I got home around 11:00 a.m.

I put the tab on the bike after unloading the truck. Then I went out back and refilled the feeders. I have a lot of branches down and several wet spots in the back yard

Oh, by the way, the cold front that caused the bad weather yesterday decided to stay. It was snowing occasionally, with a stiff wind and temps in the low 30's in the morning.

I stripped the bed and washed the sheets and pillow cases. Then I made myself a turkey sandwich for lunch.

Next, I changed out of my "Saturday errands" clothes and into something a little more polished. I left the cat and the house at 12:45 p.m. and drove to Vicky's house. Believe it or not, we were going to the opera!

I got a hug from Evy, Vicky and Yanessa and then we all piled into Vicky's truck. We drove the few minutes from Mexican Town to downtown and the Michigan Opera House.

When we got there, Vicky paralleled parked on the street. But we didn't know how long the show lasted and we didn't want her to get a parking ticket, so both Evy and I urged her to use the opera house parking structure. That turned out to be a big mistake. But more on that later.

We walked the chilly street and joined the throng entering the Opera House. It is a beautiful old structure, BTW. I got a couple of pictures before we were told that all cell phones had to be turned off.

That's right. You guessed it. We were going to see the Broadway production of the Lion King!

It was fabulous! I've never seen the movie, but I loved this so much. I was fascinated by the costumes, the set and the story.

At the intermission, Vicky and Yanessa went off to get some popcorn and water, while I went to find the men's room. Unfortunately, while we were in the first balcony on the second floor, the men's room was in the basement. Lots and lots of steps with my cane and a waiting line a mile long...

But, I made it back in time.

At the end of the show, we joined the masses heading back out. There was a guy playing a trumpet on the sidewalk that fascinated Yanessa.  Then we joined the long line to get into the elevator at the parking structure. We were on Level Six, by the way. So, we finally got on the elevator and up to the right level. We piled back into the truck and got in the line to go down and out.

It moved about one car length every couple of minutes. That's when Victoria kept reminding us that, had she keep her street parking spot, we would be at the restaurant by now. Sigh... Yanessa fell asleep before we got back on the street.

The origianl idea was to eat dinner at Pegasus in Greek Town but, even though it was only 5:30 p.m., it was packed. So, Vicky checked out so other restaurants around town. Same thing. 

We ended up eating at Los Galanes in Mexican Town, about five minutes from their house. Their parking lot was full and we ended up parking on the street and walking in the bitter cold. We had to wait a bit for a table, but they had a bench so it was no big deal.

Yanessa was still asleep in Evy's arms, but she finally woke up and ate all the tortilla chips while we waited for the food!

I ordered my usual beef enchiladas, Evy got the steak fajitas and Victoria got the pollo milanesa (a breaded flattened chicken beast topped with cheese and a Spanish sauce). Yanessa got a little off of everyone's plates. My enchiladas were good, the fried bean were fried beans, but I was very disappointed with the rice.

Sidebar: I don't want to sound prejudiced, but Puerto Rican rice is much more flavorful than Mexican.

We made the short trip to their house. I went in, only to make my goodbyes (it was about 7:30 p.m. and already dark and I don't do dark driving well). I got my usual hugs from Vicky and Evy and an enormous one on my leg from Yanessa. I also promised to send a text when I was in my house (it's a family thing).

I was home and had sent my obligatory text, so I got the sheets out of the dryer and made the bed up.

I looked for anything interesting on TV but didn't see much. My legs hurt (from all the steps, I guess), so I just went to be.

It was a good day.