Monday, February 27, 2017

Slow Sunday

I finally woke up for real at 6:30 a.m. after waking up every damn hour all night long. I seriously need to reset my internal clock!

I made soft boiled eggs for breakfast. In case you haven't noticed, I've loved soft boiled eggs since my childhood.

I did the normal Sunday morning chores, then I shaved, showered and got dressed.

Weather check: It was cold and windy at 29 degrees. At least it was sunny and not snowing (yesterday was brutal). Thank God I didn't have to go out today.

I watched the news until 10:00 p.m. Then I turned off the TV and turned on WDET. I started cleaning the house.

My friend B__ called. So, I shut off the radio (I had it really loud to hear over the vacuum). We talked for a long time, catching up.

When I checked my phone after we hung up, I realized I'd missed a couple of texts from Jake and a call from Melissa yesterday when my phone was turned off. Sorry...

I also realized how tired I really was and that Ann Delise on WDET wasn't cutting it. So, I went hard core and put on Paul Simon's Graceland album (you can call me Al), my go-to inspiration for cleaning, back in the day. I finished up at 2:30 p.m. and dumped all the cat hair into the trash can.

I managed to vacuum the entire house and then made more coleslaw mix (I use just half a jar of the dressing per bag). I let that get happy in the fridge. And then I took a well-deserved nap.

I woke up at 5:30 p.m. and started dinner. I was cold and wanted warm comfort food, so I made some chicken noodle soup. I had thawed out some boneless, skinless chicken thighs.

NOTE: This is not a recipe, nor was I following one. I was winging it.

So I sauteed two diced celery stalks, a big diced carrot and half of a large onion, also diced, in a chunk of butter and a little olive oil. When they were softened, I added the pouching (sp) liquid I'd saved from last weeks pulled chicken adventure. I added another box of chicken stock and two cups of water. I threw in the chicken thighs to let them simmer (I am not going to try and spell "pouch" again, okay?)

Here's where I think I fncked up. In addition to salt and pepper, I threw in a bay leaf. Big mistake!

I let that get happy for a half an hour or so. Then I took out the thighs and set them on the cutting board. When they cooled, I diced them up. I threw them back into the broth along with a handful of fresh flat leaf (or Italian) parsley and three minced garlic cloves.

I put in half a bag of Kluski noodles and let that go for a while and then tasted it Damn!

It tasted a bit too... Heavy or something. Not sure if it was using chicken thighs or the bay leaf, but something was off. But, I still managed to eat two bowls of it and then put the rest in the fridge.

I watched a little TV and went to bed at 11:00 p.m.


  1. I seriously need to reset my internal clock!

    Try a paper clip or ball point pen.

  2. Good point. It works on my router.