Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Tuesday and still gloomy...

I woke up at 1:30 a.m. on Tuesday morning, after a disturbing dream. I dreamed I had to cut the cheek off a fellow soldier (never been one) with my Ron Wollschlager knife to get phosphorus out.

Sidebar: No, I never was in the army, nor did I ever have to cut somebody's cheek off. But I do have a Ron Wollschlager knife Jake had commissioned for me. It's about five pounds and more for chopping down trees than operating on people.

Despite the disturbing images, I did manage to fall asleep after taking a piss. But, I woke up with the same damn dream at 3:17 a.m. I gave up after 4:00 a.m. and started to read.

Sidebar: As an insomniac, I have learned that there is no sense to try and fall asleep after, say, 45 minutes.  So, I gave up and just read until the alarm went off at 5:15 a.m.

It was raining (again) when I took the trash can out to the road Tuesday morning. Sigh...

It was a light rain, but enough to be annoying on the way into work.

I went to Time Out for lunch. I wasn't that hungry, so I just got a cup of coup (creamy mushroom) and a grilled cheese sandwich. Then I went back to work.

I walked out and got the mail and the trashcan when I got home after work. Still no sign of the sun...

I was tired so I didn't do any real work. Instead I made my Sunday dinner (two days late).

Sidebar: I changed the recipe in two ways. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of breasts (I like dark meat better) and I served it on Uncle Ben's butter and garlic microwave rice instead of medium egg noodles (quicker and less mess).

So, I cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces. I put them into a shallow dish and sprinkled a flour mixture over them (one tablespoon flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teasoon of black pepper). I tossed them to coat.

Then I heated one tablespoon of olive oil in my non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. I added the chicken to the pan and sauteed it about four minutes (until browned). Then I took the chicken out of the pan and kept it warm.

I added another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and added one tablespoon of minced fresh garlic,one teaspoon of fresh chopped tarragon and eight ounces of sliced exotic mushrooms (sold at Kroger). I sauteed that for about three minutes (until the liquid evaporated and the mushrooms darkened).

Then I added 1/2 cup of white wine to the pan and cooked it for a minute. I stirred in one tablespoon of flour and cooked it another minute (stirring constantly). I added in 1/2 cup of chicken brother, another 1/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. I cooked that for about a minute, until slightly thick.

I returned the chicken to the pan, covered it and simmered for two more minutes. Then I uncovered the pan and cooked it for one minute more.

Sidebar: Here's where you would add the precooked medium egg noodles (four ounces) and cook another minute until heated.

Instead, I made the rice in the microwave. I topped the rice with some of the chicken mixture and sprinkled that with some grated Parmesan cheese.

Sidebar: I did take a picture of the dish for you. But something happened Wednesday morning while I was uploading it to the computer and I lost it. So, you will just have to imagine it...

It was excellent!

I let my Tuesday night shows tape and read until bedtime.