Monday, January 2, 2017

New Year's Day

I woke up late on Sunday. I assume it was from watching the ball drop on New Year's Eve.

I made myself some soft boiled eggs for breakfast.

Now, my original plan was to run out and buy some paint, then come back and paint the bathroom with Kilz.

But, I was sore all over from washing the damn little room. So, I decided to forego that plan.

I did the usual Sunday morning chores and one last load of wash (the bedding). Then I read until 1:00 p.m.

At 1:00, I leisurely shaved, showered and got dressed. I left at 2:00 p.m. for St. Clair Shores and the Brother's Party.

Traffic was light and there was no construction, so I breezed down I-96 to I-94 and went through the D with no problems. I got off at 10 mile road and went to Joe and Kathy's house.

I was about 15 minutes early and the first one there. I sat at the counter, munching on mixed nuts and drinking tonic water. I found out the Jim and Coletta were not coming. She slipped and fell and the doctor thinks she may have an infection. So, she's in the hospital, getting antibiotics in a IV drip.

Carl showed up and the four of us sat at the kitchen table, snacking on a variety of hors d'oeuvres and chatting.

Kathy put dinner in the oven and made a salad bar. Carl asked her why she was bothering, since it was just the four of us. He also suggested we just eat at the kitchen table, but she said no.

Sidebar: It turned out that, when they learned Jim and Coletta weren't coming,they took a leaf out of the dining room table, found a different, smaller tablecloth and set up the plates and napkins, etc. 

When dinner was done baking, we retired to the dining room after making our salads. Then Kathy served a fantastic lasagna with fresh steamed green beans as the side. A bread basket of garlic bread completed the meal.

Sidebar: Kathy confided me that she was worried about too much or too little herbs in her sauce, but it was spot on!

The dinner dishes cleared, she brought out two trays of Christmas cookies for dessert. I must confess I ate way more than I should have.

Throughout it all, we talked and talked and talked - old stuff, new stuff, politics and so on.

Faced with too any leftovers, Kathy asked both me and Carl to please take some lasagna home. She didn't have to ask us twice, lol!

I left at 9:00 p.m. The drive home was still easy-peasy and I was home before 10:00 p.m.

I turned on the Lions game and watched the bitter end of it. I turned it off after midnight and went to bed.