Tuesday, January 3, 2017

January Second

I woke up with the alarm on Monday. I had a "Spectrum" technician coming over between 8-10:00 a.m. to give me a new modem.

Sidebar: When I dropped the home phone from my package, it not only saved me $40.00 a month, but they said, with a new modem, it would increase my internet speed.

Before he showed up, I did a speed test on the old modem. The results were:

Latency/Ping: 27 ms
Download speed: 23.5 mbps
Upload speed: 4.27 mbps
Packet Loss: 0

He didn't show up until almost 10:00 a.m. But, it didn't take long to switch out the modem.

Sidebar: I asked him why I couldn't have just picked it up (like I have with the cable box in the past). He said that, since the switch from Brighthouse to Spectrum, they don't do that with modems.

Sidebar: The new modem is much, much larger and barely fit on my stand.

I signed his papers and he was on his way. So, I did a speed test on the new modem. Results?

Latency/Ping: 27 ms
Download speed: 70.2 mbps
Upload speed: 7.73 mbps
Packet Loss: 0

Since it didn't cost me anything, I was well pleased.

Well, for a little while, anyway. I went to check my email and there was a message, saying my account was disabled and to contact the Administrator. So, I tried it through web mail - same thing! WTF?

So, I called Brighthouse, er Spectrum. After waiting 10 minutes, I finally talked to a tech. He said that happens when you disconnect the modem. So, he reactivated it.

It was 11:30a.m. already.so I grabbed my coat. I was just about to get in the truck when I remembered the driveway wands. I forgot to install them in December. But the ground isn't frozen yet, so I put them in today, just in case.

Then I drove to Home Depot and picked up another can of Kilz and a gallon of light yellow paint. I grabbed spackling  and some 18 gauge galvanized wire while while mixed that up.

Back at home, I left the truck outside so I could finish fixing Courtney's picture frame.

Sidebar: Courtney's picture fell of the wall a while back (the tiny wire they put on it broke). Miraculously, the glass didn't break, but the bottom of the wood frame broke off. She was going to spend the money to re-frame it, but I told her I thought I could fix it. Yesterday, I took out the glass, matte and backing. Before I left for the Brother's party, I glued and clamped it together.

Today, I took it into the garage and, using the air compressor and the brad nailer, I shot a 1 1/4-inch brad into every corner. I reassembled it on the living room rug (so I wouldn't scratch the face of it) and then bent back all the staples that held in the picture.

Finally, I attached the thick wire I bought. Then I put it in the truck and pulled the truck inside.

I was going to watch Western Michigan in the Cotton Bowl. It was not on TV, so I watched it on the computer on ESPN.com. It's a sad commentary that I have sunk to the college football level from the NFL and the Lions...

Sidebar: What's next, "Roll, Tide, Roll?"

Good God!

Regarding the downstairs bathroom paint job, I was running out of time and natural light. So, I put that on hold.

I warmed up the lasagna for my dinner. I made a little side salad of spring greens, dressed with olive oil and red wine vinegar.

I didn't see anything interesting on TV, so I read until an early bedtime at 9:00 p.m.


  1. Nice gains on speed! I tried to call you to congratulate you but it said the number wasn't in service???

  2. Um, no. Funny thing is that I don't notice any difference. I suspect if I was into gaming or streaming movies or videos I would. But, with just email, Google searches and Facebook, it's no big deal.