Sunday, November 27, 2016

Thanksgiving Weekend

Okay, so I admit it. The older I get, the more I realize just how much I am thankful for. Family, friends, the way I was raised... the list goes on and on. Wouldn't trade it for the world. So, I'll climb off of my soapbox and get on with the Blog.

Sidebar: I know this is like four days late. I apologize. I swore to Jake years ago I would not quit on this, but sometimes I just don't freakin' feel it, you know?

So, I took the turkey out of the fridge at 10:30 a.m. on Thursday to let it come to room temperature.

Sidebar: I usually push butter and maybe sage leaves under the skin. But (I learned too late) if you are using a dry brine, you have to do it before you add the brine. The salt tightens the skin up and you would just rip it.

I did rub the whole breast with a stick of softened butter before I stuck it in the preheated oven at 11:00 a.m. I put it in my roasting pan on a rack. Under it I put a lemon, cut in half, an unpeeled onion, also cut in half and a big wad of fresh sage. I poured a can of chicken broth in the pan as well.

About 12:30 p.m., I made my glaze in a saucepan. I put in 3/4 cup of bourbon, 1/4 cup of apple juice, two tablespoons of maple syrup and some black pepper corns. I brought that to a boil and then let it simmer for about 20 minutes until it was a thick, gooey mess. This was a riff on a Pioneer Woman recipe.

I trimmed my Brussels sprouts and cut them in half. I tossed them with olive oil, salt and pepper and put them in the oven to roast, along with the two halves of a acorn squash, cut side down.

At 1:00 p.m., I took the turkey out and brushed on the glaze. The turkey went back in the oven. I turned the squash cut side up, put in a pat of butter in each cavity, along with fresh thyme and rosemary.

I took the turkey out at 1:30 p.m. and tented it with foil, to let it rest. I let the Brussels sprout roast a little longer.

Somewhere in there, Courtney snuck in, dropped her dinner off on the front porch and sent me a text, saying it was out there. I swear that girl is a ninja. I never heard her. I even tested the doorbell when I went out to bring in her food. Worked fine.

Sidebar: Now, why would somebody bring me a Thanksgiving dinner when I was making a Thanksgiving dinner? Well, here's how it all went down. We were discussing menus. I said I was making a turkey breast. I had considered roasting a chicken at first, but I do like turkey. She said she was roasting a whole turkey because she liked the dark meat better. I said so do I but didn't need all the leftovers. And I admired her mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing and green bean casserole ideas. So, since I was going in a completely different direction,she said she'd bring me some, along with squash pie for dessert.

Her husband, Mike, said, "Why in the hell doesn't he just come over for dinner?" She said she had asked me (and she did, repeatedly) but I refused.

Now, here's the thing. My food was either still roasting or resting. Hers was still hot and smelled fantastic.

So, I ended up eating hers for my thanksgiving dinner, along with some Brussels sprouts, LOL. Squash pie tastes like a mild pumpkin pie, BTW.

Later on, Vicky and Yanessa stopped by. Vicky gave me a takeout box filled with little dessert treats. Caley shot by from downstairs and Yanessa immediately tried to follow her. I told her not to, the cat was evil and would bite or scratch her.

I asked Yanessa about her skating (she's on a hockey team) and about her ballet class. She said she just learned a new dance. So, I got up and did a silly dance and asked her if it was like this. She laughed and said, "No, it's like this!" and showed me.

Pretty soon, Victoria joined us and we all danced around the kitchen.

As they were leaving, Yanessa stopped dead at the door to the living room (I almost crashed into her). I asked her what was wrong. She said she didn't want the cat to get her (maybe I overdid my warning). I said, "No the kitty is scared of you. She will only bite or scratch if you try to play with her."

Great, now I traumatized a three year old...

After they left, I snacked on the desserts. I should have asked Victoria where they came from. They were just little one-bite things but they tasted amazing. My favorite was the one that had raisins in it. But, that little smear of ice cream was amazing. Do you have any idea how long its been since I tasted ice cream? OMG, that shit is GOOD!!!

I sent a text to Courtney, since I didn't get any green bean casserole. She apologized and said she had an 8:00 a.m. doctor's appointment on Friday and would drop some off if I would be awake. I told her I'd make her coffee or hot chocolate.

So, Friday morning, before I even had time to brush my teeth, the doorbell rang. I threw on my robe and answered the door.

Now, normally, I would be embarrassed to be in just my robe. But, this was Courtney, she went to nursing school and has seen my scars before (don't ask).

I had half my turkey breast and half the acorn squash in baggies for her family so we exchanged foods.

I got my green bean casserole but she left before I could make her any coffee or hot chocolate. Sorry. I owe you one.

Sidebar: It could have been me not brushing my teeth, I suppose.

I took the rest of Friday off, other than cleaning up the Thanksgiving mess.

I wasn't anymore motivated on Saturday, other than watching the Michigan/Ohio State game. Disappointing. I'm sticking with "Roll, tide, roll." Just for Carla.

I did make some Grand biscuits. I used them to make turkey sliders, LOL! Thought it was an innovative use of left overs.

I happened to come across the Hatfield's and McCoy's series with Kevin Costner on the History Channel around 10:00 p.m. I watched one hour of it. Then I watched another hour of it. Then another and so on. Finally went to bed at 4:00 a.m. Stupid...

Sunday morning, I girded my loins (that hurts, sometimes) and went out into the frost to refill all the feeders. Back inside, I was seriously tired of turkey. So, I made four slices of bacon, two eggs over easy and some 12-Grain toast. I used the last of the toast to suck up the bacon grease.

Sidebar: Hey, yeah. I know. That's was totally wrong but it was delicious. I mean, first ice cream and then bacon grease? It's a slippery slope.

Sunday night, I warmed up the last of the green bean casserole and more of my turkey breast for dinner. I am planning on watching some TV. But, I also plan on being in bed by 11:00 p.m.


  1. If your bacon-greased ice cream slope is sliding you toward buying ice cream on your next shopping trip, I highly recommend Ben & Jerry’s Chubby Hubby. Happy eating.

  2. Can't do it!!! Type 2 diabetes. But, seriously? Chubby Hubby?