Thursday, November 24, 2016

Rainy days and Wednesdays...

It was cold and spitting rain on the way into work on Wednesday. I had to stop at Larry's Foodliner first as I had forgotten to get a lemon at Westborn yesterday. While I was there, I snagged an on-sale can of whole cranberries (I forgot those on my Thanksgiving menu).

I had gotten a letter from the Secretary of State office on Monday, letting me know I had to renew my truck and bike license plates. But, this time, I had to renew my driver's license as well. Which meant I couldn't just mail in the money, I had to go in.

Now, I usually go the one on Wayne, near Ford Road. It's small, usually understaffed and crowded. It is not a good experience. I was bitching about it on Tuesday when Courtney said the one in Canton was modernized, plenty of staff and normally quick.

So, I brought in my stuff and left at 11:00 a.m. I was thinking I'd have to either skip lunch or grab something at McDonald's on the way back. But, just before I left, Richie (one of our techs) came in and said he was going to Lee's Chicken (a famous local restaurant and seriously deserving of that title) and did anybody want anything?

Thank you, Jesus!

So, I gave him six bucks for a chicken dinner and headed out.

When I got there, the line was long and I was behind a group that included a Grandmother, a mother, a teenage son who was going to apply for his first license and an eight year old.  So, I couldn't really see where I was going or what was ahead. I was just going.

I spent some time enjoying looking at the butt of a young lady up ahead (I admit it, okay? Hey, I'm old, not dead.) I noticed people kept walking up in front of me and then walking back. WTF? Then I noticed there was a kiosk ahead. When I got closer, it's sign said, "Please enter your phone number to get your place in line." Dammit!

Sidebar: So, like, eight people who came in after me were now ahead of me. I punched in my phone number and immediately got a text thanking me. Technology, you gotta love it.

When I talked to the lady at window one, she directed me to take a seat and wait for my number to be called. While I sat there, I kept getting automated texts, giving me my appropriate wait time.

Sidebar: Is this in all SOS offices now? Have things changed that much in three years? I dunno.

It was finally my turn and I breezed through it (I'm always scared about the vision thing). She took my picture, showed it to me on a computer screen and asked me if I liked it. I don't remember that three years ago as an option, either. I said, "That's about as good as I ever look. So, sure."

Then she asked if I had had any seizures or fainting spells in the last year. Now, I KNOW nobody asked me that before. What is this? Age discrimination? I said , "NO!" paid my money and got the hell out of there.

I was there about an hour and a half. Not as quick as Courtney made is sound, but better than Wayne Road. And, with the people-watching, a nearby bathroom and the occasional automated texts, it wasn't bad.

When I got back to work, I had an excellent three piece chicken dinner, with mashed potatoes & gravy, mac & cheese and a biscuit waiting for me. It was way too much food and I couldn't eat it all, but damn it tasted good.

Our boss told us just after 3:00 p.m. that, if we at a point we could stop, to go home. Courtney split first and I followed about 15 minutes later.

It was raining like a bitch and I-96 was horrible. Then I saw taillights coming on in all four lanes. Oh, shit! I cut in front of another truck (he did honk, but, hey, it wasn't THAT close) and got off on Middle Belt. I took Schoolcraft to Inkster and saw police cars and flashing lights on the expressway below me.

Back home, the damn post office van was three houses down from me (so much for getting home early). Instead of pulling up to the box, all I could do was wait in the garage and then trudge out in the rain. Trust me, the mail inside wasn't worth it. 

Back inside, I treated the cat, changed clothes and started the Wednesday night wash. Then I got started on my dry brine.

Okay, so I never tried this, but have been intrigued. I've always either went old school, or did a wet brine.

So, I mixed together six tablespoons of kosher salt, four tablespoons of medium ground black pepper, one tablespoon of granulated sugar and one tablespoon of paprika.

I took the nine-pound turkey breast out of the fridge, where it had been thawing for a day.

Sidebar: Courtney teased me when I told her I took it out to thaw. She's doing a 16 pound (if I remember right) turkey and said mine should thaw in a couple of hours. NOT! There was still ice in the cavity.

I rinsed it off in the sink.

Sidebar: There has been a lot of discussion about this recently. The theory is that, by doing that, you splash bacteria all over the place. But, my mother and every other mother I know rinsed off poultry. So, I moved everything out of the way, rinsed it off, patted it dry with paper towels and set it aside.

Next, I sprayed the area with antibacterial spray and wiped it off with paper towels, which I threw away.

Then I rubbed the dry brine into the turkey breast and set it uncovered into the fridge for a minimum of 12 hours (up to two days).

I washed up and hung up the laundry.

I didn't really feel like eating, but my pills would make me puke if I didn't. So, I ate some cheese and crackers for dinner while watching the hockey game, switching to the SNL Thanksgiving show when I could. Both were great. Then I went to bed.


  1. You could've autoclaved your sink and the bacteria that were already there before you started would have just grown back. Go Team Turkey-Rinsing, though; that nixes stubborn dirt, etc. Happy Thanksgiving, John.

  2. I always rinse poultry ...... we were taught right.
    Happy Thanksgiving John, have a great day