Saturday, October 29, 2016

Freaking Cold Friday

I woke up at the usual time on Friday. The temperature was only 40 degrees. Before I shaved and showered, I swept the whole house.Why, you might ask? Because today is the long-awaited replacement of my old, antique fuse box!

I pulled the truck out and rolled the bike out. But, I couldn't start the bike to get it back inside where the truck was! So, I locked the forks and left it in the driveway.

The guys showed up just before 8:30 a.m. They warned me that the electricity would be off for three to four hours. But, I had planned for that (sorta). I figured I'd just sit in my lift chair (where the light is the best) and read a book. So, that's what I did...

But, as the morning wore on, I became chilly. That's when it dawned on me: No electricity = no heat!!! So, I put a coat on and read on.

I left the electricians alone. But, I noticed there was an awful lot of sawing, drilling, hammering and pounding going on!

Sidebar: I did show them the existing ground on the water pipe under the sink. They went up in the attic and verified that it did, in fact, run to the fuse box. That saved me $100.00!!! Plus, not having an ugly ground wire run outside around the house.

Finally, they were finished and labeled the circuits.

Sidebar: I am a little mistrustful of some of the labels. Several of them say "General" and one says "Electric Stove." I don't know what "General" means and I don't have an electric stove outlet.

But, it's all up to code now and a hell of a lot better than what I had before. Plus, I have a whole house surge protector.

I coughed up my credit card for the extra $690.00 I owed them. They left just after 1:30 p.m. after sweeping up all the mess they made. They even pushed the bike back in for me!

So, a big shout out to Westborn Electric for a very professional job.

The first thing I did was to make a cup of coffee to warm up while the furnace caught up (it was 67 degrees in the house at that point). Then I walked around and reset all the electric clocks.

I was hungry, but had nothing quick to make for lunch. So, I made a run to Arby's (about a quarter mile away) and got a roast beef sandwich (with horsey sauce), curly fries and a cola. I took it home and ate it while Caley ate her snack.

The house finally warmed up. I was interested in the book, so I kept reading.

I made a three-egg omelet, seasoned with salt, pepper and fresh thyme and American cheese for dinner.

Then I watched the original movie "The Magnificent Seven" with Yul Brynner on PBS.

Sidebar: It's a 1960's remake of a Japanese movie "The Seven Samurai" made in the mid-50's.

When it over at 10:00 p.m., I went to bed.