Friday, August 26, 2016

Traveling man...

So, I slept terrible on Monday night. I finally just gave up and got up around 4:00 a.m. I ate one piece of dry toast and my morning pills.

I was headed for North Carolina for a late celebration of Carla's birthday. My plane was supposed to leave at 10:45 a.m., so I did the math, backwards. Boarding begins 20 minutes early, two hours to make sure I get through the security lines in time, 15 minutes to check in, 15 minutes or more to find a parking spot and a 30 minute drive to the airport meant I should leave by 7:30 a.m.

I left at 7:15 and, of course, traffic was light, I found a parking spot right away, I breezed through both check-in and security and ended up with more than two hours to wait!

I normally would just eat breakfast to kill time, but my stomach's still not so hot. So, I sat and read my book until it was time to go.

When it was time to board, nothing happened! A large Middle East family (grandparents, parents and three small children) started looking around (like I was). Finally they called all our names to go to Gate 26 (we were all at Gate 30) for finally boarding. Never heard the gate change announcement!

But we all made it in time. We had a relatively smooth flight to Charlotte, NC.

Sidebar: I had to smile. When we landing, the Middle easterners all clapped, just like they do in Puerto Rico!

For some reason or another, landing in Charlotte is just the beginning of a long road to the next plane. The taxi from the runway to the gate always seems to take FOREVER. Must be the way the runways are laid out or something, because you start to taxi, then wait, move a little more and then wait, over and over again.

But, we finally got there and I made it to the next gate (all the way  across the airport)

Sidebar: I must look like sh*t. At Detroit, they asked me if I wanted a wheelchair. At Charlotte, they told me I should wait for one of the electric carts. I declined both times.

We boarded and made the short hop to Columbia. I retrieved my check bag and waited a bit for Jake to show up. While I was waiting, I sent my boss and Victoria texts, letting them both know I made it okay.

Jake arrived, loaded my stuff and we headed for home.

Carla and Whiskey greeted my enthusiastically while Jake carried my stuff upstairs. Carla had bacon made for BLTs and she said we could either eat them for lunch or dinner. I explained my stomach was not doing so good and would rather wait.

So, Jake and I both changed into something more comfortable then we all sat and visited.

When dinner time came, Carla suggested I might like a leftover breaded veal cutlet and a spring salad, rather than the greasy bacon. So, I opted for that. It was delicious, although I could only eat about half of it.

Sidebar: I must admit, their BLTs looked pretty damn delicious.

We watched some TV and then went to bed around 9:30 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment