Sunday, August 28, 2016

Slow Sunday

I woke up a little later on Sunday. Jake and Carla were already up. I got a cup of coffee and read my book downstairs while they got dressed. I was just getting another when Jake stopped me. "Did you forget we were going to breakfast?" he asked. I said I thought we would be going later. He said that down here, the restaurants fill up fast on Sunday.

So, I shaved, showered and dressed quickly. Then we headed towards Columbia.

We ate at the Egg Up Cafe. It is apparently a small Southern chain. We got there about 8:00 a.m. and the place was already about half full.

I forget the name of the breakfast I chose, but it was two eggs over-easy, with sausage patties, home fries or grits (I took home fries this time, just to try them) plus a biscuit with sausage gravy.

The food was good and the portion size much more to my liking. Compared to Michigan breakfasts, it was about half the size. For example, I think they must use small eggs as compared to our large ones.

The only complaint I had is that it didn't with toast. I need something to push things onto my fork, occasionally.

Sidebar: All the waitresses had something cute written on the backs of their t-shirts (like Jimmy Johns back home). Only here they said things like, "You crack me up!" or "Is my crack showings?"

When we got back, Jake cut the front lawn. I offered to trim it for him, but this time he declined. So, I got that second cup of coffee and read my book for a while.

In the afternoon, Jake prepped the lettuce for tonight's dinner. Then we watched the latest Quentin Tarantino movie, "The Hateful Eight."

The photography was marvelous, but it was a little more violent and WAY too much use of the "N" word than any of us felt comfortable with. Which was strange as we all are big Quentin Tarantino fans.

It was also very, very long (like 3+ hours long). We had a snack of hot, buttered popcorn about halfway through.

When it was over, we ate dinner: taco salad. Excellent! Perfectly seasoned, but I've come to expect that, LOL!

We sat and chatted, while we watched some taped TV shows. But, we called it a night and they went to bed at 9:00 p.m. I stayed up to write this.

No comments:

Post a Comment