Sunday, July 24, 2016

The Saturday Party Story...

I woke up early on Saturday (3:30 a.m.). Apparently that's now when my body thinks I should get up.

Sidebar: It sucks...

I know better than to try and fall asleep, so I grabbed a book and started to read. Eventually, it was 6:00 a.m. so I turned on the news.

When the news turned to Saturday morning cartoons, I turned the TV off.

Sidebar: I got nothing against cartoons. When I was a wee lad, I loved Bugs Bunny (before he was censored for violence) and/or the Road Runner and Wiley Coyote. Yeah, sure they were violent, but they were funny. These new cartoons are LAME.

So, I started the weekend wash. I made myself a fried egg sandwich for breakfast: Two fried eggs, topped with American cheese on Brownberry 12 Grain bread with mayo.

Sidebar: No, I'm not turning into a health food nut, but I like the texture of those half turkey on whole grain bread sandwiches at Big Boy's.  So, I bought me some...

I put the first laundry load in the dryer and stripped the bed. The sheets and pillow cases went into the washer.

I laid on the naked bed, watching old DIY shows (that sounds a lot more erotic than it actually was).

It was hot again, but not as humid. But, the Heat Advisory was still in effect.

I finally shaved, showered and got dressed in my lightweight Puerto Rico clothes. I left the house at 1:30 p.m. on a mission-critical errand. I had to pick up the fried chicken for Yanessa's birthday party.

So, I headed over to Plymouth and Lee's Chicken on Ann Arbor Trail. It's hands down the best take-out chicken I ever tasted.

Sidebar: I think Carla's Mom wins at the best homemade fried chicken (sorry, Mom). But, I digress...

The chicken wasn't ready, so I waited a bit, but then stuck a huge box in the truck and headed back to the D.

I was afraid there would be no parking left at the house, but there was an open spot right in front! So, I hauled the chicken in and then got my empty cooler out (Vicky had asked me to bring it).

It was still before the 3:00 p.m. official start of the party, so there was just immediate family in the house. The heat was killer inside (Evy was making rice with pigeon peas) so I grabbed a bottle of water and went outside.

As usual, Victoria went all out.

Sidebar: This seems to be a Latino concept. Now, granted, my birthday was on Christmas Eve in the dead of winter, but there was only my family who still lived at home. No party, just whatever I wanted for dinner, a present and a cake my Mother made with candles to blow out. But these people seem to go big!

This year, the bounce house was now a water bouncer (made sense with the heat).


They put a smaller "kiddie pool"next to it for the littler kids.

 She had a tent put up for much-needed shade as well as their permanent cabana.

Josh, from work, his wife Megan and their oldest daughter Charlotte arrived. Together we made up the entire white population, but we made do... We represented!!! I spent some time explaining to Megan who was who (but I still get confused now and then).

Everybody (except Vicky) something to eat. I got the rice (my favorite) and some chicken and that seemed enough, but she walked by with a tub of potato salad and plopped a spoonful on my plate. Everything was delicious.

She also had a silly blow up selfie frame with stick emojies. Since she misplaced her own phone, Vicky asked me to be her photographer. So, I and her cousin Karlita, went and annoyed people, making them let me take their picture.

Finally, one of the young ladies on Yanessa's daddy's side challenged me to get my selfie taken. What could I say? So, I did.

Finally, it was the pinata event. The kids managed to break it, but not bust it.

Then it was time to blow out candles and cut the cake.

They served the cake with ambrosia salad, which was nice. It cut the richness of the chocolate cake and frosting.

Finally, Yanessa opened presents. I gave her the two books my boys liked best when growing up. She's probably too young to "get" Paddle-To-The-Sea, but I know she'll like This Farm Is A Mess!

By then it was 7:30 p.m. and I was tired. So, after shaking a lot of hands and getting a lot of hugs, I headed home. Nice party!!!

I was beat, (a lot of standing) so, I just undressed and went to bed a little after 8:00 p.m.

I realized, just before I fell asleep, I left my cooler at their house...


  1. Missed you at Cheyenne's party.

  2. @ GPF: I know, I know... But I was already committed to this party. I talked to Wendy and she was okay with me missing...
    @ Jake: I'll pass that along...