Monday, July 4, 2016

July 4th weekend, Day One

I had went to sleep on Friday night without turning the oven on to "Self Clean." I try to do that overnight in the summer months.

Note: the oven's not that bad, but its getting there.

So, when I woke up early on Saturday, I fired it up. I turned on the vent fan and opened the kitchen window. It was only in the mid-50's at that point.

I went back to bed and dozed until it was 6:00 a.m. and the news came on. By the time I took my shower at 8:00 a.m., the A/C had kicked on. Should have turned it on at 11:00 p.m. like I planned.

First stop was getting my haircut. Then I drove up to Farmington and my eye doctor. This is the six month visit where he's going to decide if I need cataract surgery.

He did the drops and I sat in the waiting room until they worked. After the exam, he said the left eye was a little worse, but the right eye was almost the same.

He suggest that I wait for my normal February appointment, unless I notice any blind spots in my vision or the glare of lights when night-driving gets worse. Then I should just come in.

Fortunately, it was overcast, but I still had to use sunglasses on the ride home.

I skipped going grocery shopping and just went home. Well, I did run the truck through the touch free car wash. So, I left it outside while I went inside. I treated Caley and got a towel to dry it off.

It did rain on Thursday, if you remember. So, it had splashes on the sides, etc. I was going to wash it Friday at lunch, but we ended up getting Miss Victoria's truck washed instead.

I made a small salad for my lunch. I had a headache so I went and took a nap.

When I got up, I stripped the bed and started on the weekend wash.

I watched some DIY shows until it was time to make dinner. I had thawed out a package of small-diced ham. So, I added some diced onion, some Wickles pickles, a hard boiled egg, diced fine and then some mayo, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. I toasted some bread and made a great ham salad sandwich.

I took out the light bulbs and then removed the glass shades from the kitchen fan. I left them soak in soapy water overnight.

Sidebar: If you remember, I bought a 1950's light fixture in an antique store. It was my plan to move the electrical box from the middle of the room to over the middle of the table. I also wanted to put in some can lighting over the counters.

But, that hasn't happened. Until it does, I'm going to make it a swag light. I bought a kit to rewire it, add on a longer chain, etc.

I went to bed around 10:00 p.m. after remaking the bed.


  1. How often do you clean your oven?

  2. Whenever I notice it is starting to look cruddy. Maybe three or four times in the winter (when I use it more) and once or twice in the summer.