Tuesday, July 5, 2016

July 4th Weekend, Day 3

I woke up on Monday to the alarm on my phone. I forgot to turn it off.

I just ate a piece of toast with my morning pills. I had a cup of coffee watching the news. It was nice and cool outside, so I opened most of the windows to air out the house. I had to close them all around 11:00 a.m. when the air conditioner kicked on.

I watered the container gardens that needed it. I got the step ladder out of the garage and started to take down the ceiling fan. I had the light base off and was disconnecting it when I realized I didn't need to.

Sidebar: I googled "how to take down a ceiling fan" and got generic instructions, but I have no real clue what I am doing.

So, I put that back together and proceeded to take off the fan blades. This fan was here when I first moved in, so the blades were coated with grease, dust and hair. I got a bucket of hot water and Pine-Sol and went out back. I washed each blade with a brush first, then a sponge. I set them on the patio to dry.

Back inside, I needed a flat head screw driver (up to this point they were all Phillips head screws). But I was tired of going up and down that ladder, so I quit for the night.

I took out a t-bone steak to come up to room temperature. Then I fired up the charcoal chimney starter. I got out a large eggplant and set it on the counter. I wanted to grill something besides sweet corn (although I love it!)

I used a small bowl to mix together three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, two tablespoons of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of dried thyme that I crushed.

I cut the eggplant into 1/2 inch slices and brushed them with the oil mixture. I cleaned the grill and oiled it. Then I put the eggplant on. I turned them to get some grill marks and kept applying the oil with a brush. When I figured they were done, I took them inside and stuck them in a 200 degree oven to keep warm.

Then I grilled my steak, along with some green onions. I took the steak inside to rest and put the green onions in the oven. I put a dab of butter on the steak and covered it with aluminum foil. I took some pictures for you before I plated.

I ate about half the steak, two pieces of eggplant and all three green onions. It was a delicious Fourth of July dinner!

In the spirit of the day, I turned on the Macy's 4th of July show at 8:00 p.m. I was curious if their fireworks were as impressive as Detroit's.

Sidebar: A lot of places around here banned fireworks this year because its so dry. I don't know if Redford was one of the, but people have been shooting them off all around me all weekend.

The show ended at 10:00 p.m. I think the New York fireworks lasted longer than Detroit's, but ours were more impressive.

I turned off the TV and tried to fall asleep (I was sleepy enough). But the damn mortars kept me up until after midnight!


  1. Glad you had a great day!
    back to work Tuesday?

  2. "how to take down a ceiling fan"

    Angle grinder didn't work?