Sunday, June 26, 2016


It was supposed to be hot and dry again on Saturday, so I decided I had to water the poor front lawn. Dammit, there goes my water bill!

So, I threw on my shorts and t-shirt and dragged the hose around to the front. I got the oscillating sprinkler out of the shed and, by 7:00 a.m., I had it going. I had to fuss with it a bit to make sure the English garden got watered, too.

Sidebar: This sprinkler covers a large area, but takes a long time. I know from trial and error I need to run it for two hours to get the water down to the grass roots.

So, I went back inside. I made some scrambled eggs with chives for breakfast. I ate it watching the morning news.

Then I got to work. I stripped the bed and put the sheets in the washer. Next I dusted and vacuumed the living room. It looked so nice to be cat hair-free (for a little while, anyway), I decided to clean the whole house!

Sidebar: If you are stuck inside for hours, you might as well be productive.

So, I swept the kitchen and downstairs rooms.Then I filled the bucket up with hot water and Pine-sol.

Armed with a sponge and mop, I washed the downstairs bath. Next, I dumped the dirty water and refilled the bucket. Then I washed the kitchen counters and the floor.

That left me trapped in the bedroom, office and bathroom. So, I swept those floors. Unfortunately, I left the duster on the kitchen table.

At 9:00 a.m., I went out the front door. I went out back and shut off the water. Then I went in front and hauled the hose in back.

I set it up so it watered the grass between my patio and the fire pit slab. That took a lot more fussing and getting wet to set it up exactly right.

Back inside, the kitchen floor had dried.

So, I put the sheets in the dryer. Then I refilled the bucket and did the main bathroom sink, toilet and floor.

Sidebar: Picking the bucket up and out of the laundry tub hurt my back. Never noticed it before. So, I think I'm going to get a short hose and fill it on the floor.

I got the Wetjet and washed the bedroom and office floors with the wood floor solution. I went out back, shut off the water and reeled in the hose.

Then I shaved and showered. I had to sit in the living room for a bit until the bedroom floor was dry. But, I finally got dressed and I headed out into the heat on my Saturday errands. I was going to say my Saturday morning errands, but it was already afternoon.

I went to the gas station, CVS, Home Depot and finally Kroger's. I was amazed at how crowded both Home Depot and Kroger's were until I realized I'm usually there around 10:00 a.m. On the way home, I ran the truck through the "touch-free" car wash.

I left the truck dripping in the driveway while I unloaded the groceries. I put away the stuff that had to be refrigerated, then I grabbed a towel and dried off the truck. I pulled it back inside and put away the rest of the groceries.

By then it was almost 3:00 p.m. and I was hot and tired. Not only my back hurt, but by then my leg hurt. But, I got the sheets out of the dryer and remade the bed.

Then I took another shower and got dressed in my lightweight Puerto Rico clothes. I headed out to Mike and Courtney Esper's house. Their two boys, Aiden and Christian, birthdays are close together so they were having a joint birthday party.

They only live about five minutes away, so I got there just after 4:00 p.m. By then, I needed my cane.

There were several people from work there. Josh, his wife and two little daughters; Jeff, his wife and her three-year old son; Ashley, her husband and their little boy and Courtney's uncle. So, I had lots of people to talk to and I did.

They had a tent over the driveway, so there was plenty of shade. It was a nice sized party (maybe 20 people). It was supposed to be between 2:30 to 5:00 p.m., so I missed the hot food. But I ate a cheeseburger and some potato salad, anyway. I tried a glass of Courtney's homemade sangria.

Vicky and Yanessa showed up even later than me. I said, "Hola, Yanessa!" and she said, "What are you doing here?" I said, "I came for the birthday party." She said, "Me, too."

She and Jeff's son are about the same age, so they hit it off famously. Usually, the other kids are either younger or older than her. But they played together in the sand box and he pushed her around in a little car.

I had been sitting, talking with Courtney's father. Vicky sat down across from me, next to Ashley. After a bit, Courtney's father said something in Spanish to Vicky so they chatted away for a while and I didn't understand a word, LOL!

Sidebar: He is not Hispanic, but Courtney's mother was Mexican, so he learned Spanish.

They opened presents (most were either books or clothes, primarily Batman). All the kids got dinosaur gift bags (the theme was dinosaurs - Aiden is into dinosaurs) and Courtney did it up right with all the cute decorations.

People started leaving and Courtney tried to get people to take cupcakes with them (she had bought too many, it seemed but then you wouldn't want to run out). I declined, said goodby to Courtney, Mike and the boys and Victoria and Yanessa (the other people from work had already gone) and drove home.

I took some water out to the mailbox garden and then quit for the night. I watched the news and then some taped TV, but went to bed early. I was beat.


  1. I'm still wondering how well an irrigation well would offset those watering costs.

    Sounds like a very busy morning but a nice relaxing afternoon.

  2. I don't know if its legal to drill your own well in the city.