Thursday, June 2, 2016

I owe, I owe, so back to work I go...

I got up with the alarm and went through the old, familiar routine. I took the trash out to the road and headed out. I was on my way to work when Scott called.

Sidebar: Just to remind you, Scott is Michelle's husband and the owner of Competitive Heating and Cooling in Pontiac.

I told him the problem and ended up by saying there was no rush. I asked him if next time he was in the area, could he drop in and check it out. He said he and his partner, Keith, were coming out to Novi and it might be this afternoon. I said to just give me a call about 10 minutes before he get to my house and I'd meet him there.

I let my boss know and she said fine.

But, because of the I-275 shutdown, they ended up coming south on Telegraph. So, they called me around 9:30 a.m.

They beat me to the house and already had the cover off and gauges hooked up. The thermostat was acting goofy and Scott suggested I replace the batteries. So, I did and he reset it.

It turned out to be the freon was two pounds low. Scott asked when the last time I had some added and I told him never.  He said it might just be a pin hole leak (difficult and expensive to find) so I should just keep an eye on it. If it gets low in the next couple of years, he would investigate.  If it last another 12 years, I'll have saved some money.

Sidebar: I told him I won't last another 12 years! He laughed.

For lunch, I went to the Newburgh Grill and had a cup of tomato orzo soup and a mini-Greek salad. First time I've tried the new soup and it wasn't bad.

From there I went to buy another soaker hose. They didn't have the 50 foot length like my old one, so it was either buying two 25-footers ($32.00 for both) or a kit with "T's" that I would have to assemble for $26.00. I went with the kit.

I also bought some Columbine seeds (I couldn't find a bush this year).

It was getting cloudy when I got home. The A/C had chilled the house (he had it set at 72) so I kicked it up to 75. A some point, I will have to reset all the heating and cooling times and temps for the programmable thermostat (Scott wiped them all out when he reset it this morning).

I planted my seeds out front, but was a little discouraged. Germination time is 25 days! But, we'll see.

It was starting to sprinkle when I finished up.

Victoria had given me some rice and beans (arroz y frijoles), this time with small cuts of steak. So, I warmed that up for dinner. Excellent as always!

Sidebar: Such a difference from Cajun red beans and rice! But, I love them both.

We had a nice, gentle rain going, which I am sure my gardens and lawn appreciate.

I watched a little TV but went to bed by 9:00 p.m. I was beat.

Sidebar: It isn't walking 2+ miles or traveling all day in an airplane that tires me out. It's going to work!!! I have to think about that...


  1. Glad you got the AC working again. Too bad it's too early in the season to do a comparison on electric bill. Would be curious how a tuned system compares to one that's always trying to keep up.

  2. Well, give it a couple three months and I'll let you know!