Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Homeward Bound...

I got up with the phone's alarm. I shaved, showered and got dressed. Then I finished packing and went downstairs. I said good morning to Jake and Carla, who were already up.

Jake loaded my suitcase in the car, and I said goodbye to Carla and Whiskey. Then Jake drove me to the airport, on his way to work. He got my suitcase out of the car and we said our goodbyes, as well.

Sidebar: I hate goodbyes...

It was overcast and still cool at that time, BTW.

I got my ticket and breezed through security.

Sidebar: No, I still got a pat down, but there was only two people in line in front of me!

I had time to kill, so I got a sausage, egg and cheese biscuit and a cup of coffee for breakfast.

Then I went and sat in the rocking chairs that look out on the runways, reading my book and finishing my coffee.

I was a little disconcerted when two fire trucks pulled up and parked at my gate!

I thought, "This does not bode well!" But, after about 15 minutes, they drove away. Whew!

Finally, it was time to board. We took off and made the short hop to Charlotte.

For the first time since I've been coming or going, we landed at the E terminal and my next flight was to leave from the E terminal (I usually have to race across the entire airport)!!! Amazing!!!

I celebrated by buying another cup of coffee and sauntered to my next gate.

I boarded and the older woman in the seat next to me cautioned that she had been awake since 3:00 a.m. She said if she started to jerk or lean on me, it would be because she was falling asleep.

Turned out she lives in Detroit and was visiting relatives in Birmingham, Alabama, over the weekend. She boarded what was supposed to be a direct flight to Detroit at 6:00 a.m. But there was something wrong with the plane. So, after about an hour wait, they all had to deplane. But, there were no other planes available. So, they put a few on this plane or that plane and she ended up in Charlotte, going home on my plane (leaving at 11:45 a.m.).

I told her I sympathized with her and not to worry about me.

We took off without incident and sure enough, she was asleep in no time. She woke up and needed o go to the bathroom (there was only one at the rear of the plane - it was a small plane). So, I got up to let her out, but they were serving beverages at the time. There was nowhere for the beverage cart to go backwards, so I walked down and asked the steward if he would mind going forward to let the lady get behind him and go to the bathroom. He didn't seem to mind and she was grateful.

She came back and apologized for being such a bother. I told her not to worry about it.

Sidebar: Later, when I went to the bathroom, I came out and there was a teenage girl waiting to use it. But, the door was dead set in the middle of the last seat row and there was nowhere for me to step aside. She she turned sideways, as did I, and we shared an intimate moment passing each other. I'm not sure who was more embarrassed, me or her. It was a little plane!

We finally landed and I woke up my seat companion. I told her she could go home and take a nap. She said, "Nap? I'm going to go home, put on my pj's and go to bed!"

We landed about 3:00 p.m., but after retrieving my checked bag and finding my truck, I didn't make it home until almost 4:00 p.m.

Caley was glad to see me for a change. It was 77 degrees in the house, so I opened a few more windows and turned on the kitchen ceiling fan and the little oscillating fan in the bedroom.

I tried calling Scott (Michelle's husband and my heating and cooling guy) but his voicemail box was full. So, I sent him a text, asking him to call me.

Sidebar: Unlike the wintertime when the furnace went out and the pipes might have frozen, this is not an emergency. It's just uncomfortable. This is the first house I eve lived in that had air conditioning, and I guess I've grown used to it!

Then I went outside and began watering all the container gardens, the newest plants I had planted, the herb gardens, the mailbox garden, etc. My grass still wasn't cut, so I didn't water the vegetable garden. I didn't want the hose across the lawn in case they showed up late.

I was struck by how pretty the little clematis out back was!

And the herbs looked good after I watered them.

Finally, I took pictures of the garden at the rear of the downstairs addition.

And, it was a good thing I didn't pull out the hose, as they showed up around 6:00 p.m. I made dinner while they cut the lawn.

I had thrown away all the perishable items, so I just made tuna and peas served over wide egg noodles.

When the lawn folks had left, I hooked up the house hose to the soaker hose. Not sure if it is just old (it is) or sitting in the hot sun had degraded it, but there were several pinhole leaks! Dammit!!

I let it run until 8:00 p.m. while I made a half-hearted attempt to unload my suitcase. But, it was too hot to care. So, I gave up and laid on top of the sheet watching TV until an early bedtime.


  1. Glad you had a good trip and made it home save and sound. NOW...get to work.

  2. "I was a little disconcerted when two fire trucks pulled up and parked at my gate!"

    That's just our 21 ladder salute. It's how we say goodbye in the south.

  3. Ah, I see! well, tell them thanks for me, LOL!