Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The ghost in the office...

As I said, I went to bed at around 9:30 p.m. I was sleeping like a log, when, around midnight and all of a sudden, a woman spoke to me. I freaked! I turned on the bedside lamp to see who was there, but nobody was in the room. I glanced at Caley and she was serenely sleeping on the other pillow.

Sidebar: Caley hates guests. Whenever Vicky or her family comes over, she runs and hides. Yanessa loves to try and find her, but to no avail.

So, I thought, "Damn, that was a realistic dream!" and went back to bed.

But, around 1:00 a.m., the same thing happened!!! Caley still didn't give a shit, but I was pissed, thinking somebody was fncking with me. So, I grabbed the handgun and cleared every room and the garage (I thought I might have left the radio on or something). Nothing... nobody...


When it happened again at 2:00 p.m and woke me up, I thought, "I shouldn't have eaten those damn Duke's sausages as a snack." I fell back asleep.

When it happened again at 3:00 a.m., I thought "You have to get out this damn dream. Think of puppies, kittens or flowers, for God's sake!" and went back to sleep.

At 4:00 a.m. I was woken up by the same feminine voice. I checked and both radios were still off, the NORA weather radio was silent (believe me, you know when it goes off, LOL) and nobody was there.

I went back to bed but couldn't fall asleep. So, I just laid there, waiting for the alarm to go off at 5:30 a.m.

Around 5:00 a.m., I heard the feminine voice say, "Low Battery."

My "ghost" was the smoke detector in the office!


So, at first I grabbed a kitchen chair to reach it. But, I didn't have the strength to get on it. I tried several time and then I told myself, "This is how old people break their hips!" So, I went out in the garage, got the step stool and replaced the damn batteries. Then I got on with the day.

I put the trash out to the road and headed into work.

It was also weird on the way into work. There was NO fog at my house, but I ran into a solid wall of it at Middlebelt (a little over a mile away down Plymouth road). It stayed foggy all the way to work (and I mean a Port Huron-style fog!)

But the sun came out and it quickly burned off. So, I walked outside.

I went to the Newburgh Grill for lunch. I got the split pea soup and a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Then I went to Lowe's and bought this year's replacement herbs (two each of basil, rosemary and flat leaf parsley). I left them in the truck cab with the windows cracked open.

Back home, I got in the trash can and treated the cats. I changed clothes and then planted the herbs.

Finally, I took the last two wheel barrows of sand to my new sand pile. It was a lovely, sunny day with a high around 67 degrees. Nice, but not too hot to work.

I buttoned everything up for the night and came inside.

I washed up and then made another small salad. I warmed up a bowl of the Sunday pasta.

I started watching TV, but fell asleep before the end of NCIS. I'll have to watch the taped show another time.


  1. Entertaining read! Thank you!

  2. Yes, entertaining...but I am surprised you didn't shoot the damn thing off of the ceiling.

  3. @ Jake: entertaining, unless you had to live it...
    @ GPF: I wanted to, but then remembered, I'd have to patch the hole.

  4. I meant the first part was very story-tellery. Well done. The actions... well, that's why I have old fashioned smoke detectors. When mine wake me up, I think it's just robots talking and since robots can't die, I feel secure knowing they're not ghosts and I drift back to sleep.