Monday, May 16, 2016

Snowy Sunday!

No, I'm not kidding. When I looked outside at 6:45 a.m., it was seriously snowing!!! But, by the time the sun came up, it had stopped. So, sorry, no pictures!

I skipped breakfast (I'll pay for that later) and had two cups of excellent coffee instead. Then I got to work. Stripped the bedding and tossed it in the washer. Next I did the Sunday morning chores. I refilled the pill box (making extra care to ensure the Celebrex was in there), then I watered the snake plant and wond the mantle clock.

The bird feeder was almost empty, so I put on my winter coat and refilled it. While I was out there (shivering), I checked on my vegetable garden. I didn't see any signs of frost (whew).

Sidebar: I really want the tomatoes I planted that I got from Margaret to do well, so I can send her a picture.

I noticed a curious thing. When I first moved here, I planted an equal amount of lily of the valley and ferns in both the wild garden and around the St. Francis statue. The ferns in the St. Francis garden are definitely crowding out the lily of the valley.

But, in the wild garden (more shade) the lily of the valley is choking out the ferns!

Weird, right?

Now, I do mulch the St. Francis garden. I don't do anything the the wild garden except throw the occasional log in it to rot. I'm trying to recreate a forest in the middle of Redford. Well, that's not exactly true. There is a statue of Buddha that watched over it.

On my way back in, I noticed the chives from 24-Mile are about to bloom.

Before I took off my coat, I went out front and checked on all the planters.None of them needed water. So, I cut off three blooms from the lilac to bring that lovely, never forgotten smell inside.

If you are wondering where the chairs are, they were in the living room. I was still cleaning the house and, as soon as the main bathroom floor dries, I will be washing the kitchen floor.

I got a phone call from Miss Victoria. They were driving back from church and Yanessa kept saying "Hello, Papa John!" Sweet!

I love that little kid. But, you know that.

I made yet another taco salad for lunch. This time, though, I had some green onions. Perfect!

The bathroom finally dried, so I was free to wash the downstairs bathroom and the kitchen floor. I took a break then and watched some of the movie "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey." Sure, I've seen them all before, but I read those books back in the 70's and love them still. When the movie was over, the kitchen floor was dry.

So, I moved all the chairs back in the kitchen. Then I started making my Sunday Supper. I saw this recipe and wanted to try it!

I peeled and de-viened a pound of shrimp. I lined a half sheet tray with aluminum foil while I melted a stick of butter. I put the butter in the tray and topped that with thin lemon slices and then the shrimp. I seasoned the shrimp with Italian seasoning I bought special for this. I put it into a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.

Just before it was done I heated up some Uncle Ben's 90 second rice. This time I used butter and garlic. Then I plated my dinner.

To tell you the truth, I didn't like it! The shrimp was poached nicely in the butter, but it tasted boring!!! It needed garlic and maybe some red pepper flakes, or something. The best thing about dinner was the rice...

I was bummed.

I went and watched TV until bedtime.


  1. how about "old bay seasoning" next time?

  2. Yes, that would have been a great alternative! Thanks!!!

  3. Snow in may?! Gardens are looking full.

  4. Thanks. Yeah, the snow was a bit shocking. :(