Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Tuesday's Tale

I woke up, wide awake at 3:30 a.m. Dammit! I tried for an hour or so to fall back asleep with no luck. So, I gave up and read until the alarm went off.

I got up and got ready. I took the trash out and still went to work way too early. I stopped at Larry's Foodland (my 24-hour grocery) and got some yogurt (I'm still trying to beat the GIRD with "pro-bionics).

Sidebar: I never tasted yogurt until I hooked up with Rosalie, long after my first divorce. Back then, it was "fruit on the bottom." I ate the sour yogurt and then used the "fruit on the bottom" as like a dessert. I don't seem to be able to find that, these days. I miss it as much as I do Rosalie...

There is something about Jewish women...

Anyway, there is a big bush next to the handicapped parking space. There was a noisy Mallard duck, protecting the space. I assured him I would not bother his nest (or whatever he had going on).

I couldn't shut him up, so I took his picture.

I went to the Newburgh Grill for lunch. I had a cup of split pea soup and, just to be different, a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. Both were delicious.

From there I went to Lowe's and got some Liquid Nails. Finally, (since it's not supposed to rain until at least Sunday night), I got the truck washed.

The afternoon was sunny and the 30 degree low this morning warmed up to a nice 50 degrees.

So, when I got home, I got in the trashcan and the mail, treated the cat and quickly changed clothes. Then I went outside to tackle the mailbox garden. I took out the wheelbarrow with the sand, the two shovels and the four big blocks.

I dug down a couple of feet and filled the hole in with sand.

I laid in the big blocks. I used my hands to "level" the sand, and then a rubber mallet and a small level to get them all close to perfect.

I put the next course of smaller blocks on next, adding generous amounts of the Liquid Nails.

Sidebar: I know its not made for this, but it has worked well in the past to keep them secured.

Now, that was the original top course of block. The bottom course was in the dirt and covered with crud. I thought about hosing them off, but then I'd have to let them dry. And, I wanted the glue to compress and dry. Plus, I'd been working for over an hour and my right arm was killing me.

So, I put the dirty bricks on top of the clean ones as a weight. I'll hose them off tomorrow, let them dry and install the last course on Thursday.

I put the wheel barrow back in the garage and buttoned everything up.

Sidebar: I (finally) noticed that they had come and cut the lawn for the first time this season. Looks good!

I warmed up the rest of the eggplant Parmesan and ate that with some of the macaroni salad as the side.


I watched a little TV. I took some Advil for my arm and was fast asleep by 8:30 p.m.


  1. Dannon's website claims Meijer sells fruit-on-the-bottom.

  2. Hmmm... I'll check it out, but am not hopeful. Mrs. T's claims that Kroger's sell their pierogies, but none of the ones near me carry them.

  3. Any luck? I prefer the 2% Fage to the sweet stuff.

  4. I haven't had time to check it out yet...