Friday, April 29, 2016

Thursday (or, as I like to think of it, "Friday Eve")

It was freaking cold and rainy when I drove into work on Thursday.

Sidebar: the rain came and went in waves, but it never got out of the 40's, temperature-wise.

So, I walked inside...

I drove to Big Boy for lunch. I had my mind set on the cup of broccoli and ham soup and the half turkey sandwich on multi-grain bread.

Sidebar: Don't get your panties in a twist! I'm not getting all healthy here. It's just the right amount of delicious food to fill me up. I just can't eat as much as I am offered at lunch these days. I don't know why. So, I use the Carla method (not the way I was raised) and eat until I'm full and quit.

Sidebar #2: This is particularly embarrassing at Ten Yen. And I have complained to the owner about serving way too much food. After the Won Ton soup and the egg roll, I'm already stuffed. But, I am thinking of creating a new menu item: Won Ton soup, and egg roll and the delicious side of the rice. Skip the damn main items and I'll still pay you $5.00. I have yet to talk to the owner about this as I usually go on Mondays when he's off (but my favorite waitress is on, LOL).

Okay, back to Big Boy today. The parking lot was full and the place was a madhouse! People were lined up trying to pay and leave, and there was a line of people trying to get seated. I was four groups back in the line.

Finally, a waitress came and apologized to the first group and said, "Just find a table and we'll get to you."

I stood in line until a nice woman (who was leaving with her 13 or 14 year old daughter) stopped next to me and said, "Go somewhere else! We've been sitting here over 15 minutes and never even saw a waitress."

So, I split.

Sidebar: I don't know it there was a waitress shortage or a cook shortage, but there was a serious problem!!!

So, I left. I went to Red Robin on Six Mile (since the Max and Erma's at the mall is closed). I didn't want a burger and fries or onions rings (although they are great there) and, since it was almost 12:30 p.m., the lunch crowd was in full force. When the waiter showed up, I ordered the clam chowder soup and the side salad with bleu cheese dressing.

Sidebar: The clam chowder was just so-so, but the simple side salad was the best I think I ever ate.

I had a little trouble getting my bill, but I still made it back to work in time.

Back at work, there was a severe problem! "Something" had backed up the drains in the bathroom and they were all out of bounds...

So, there was a hand written note that directed us to go to Building 4 to use the rest room.


I'm old and need the bathroom more than most and did I mention it was raining?

Finally I was home with my own (close) bathroom, thank God!

There was a small box in the mail with no return address. So, I opened it up and found three baggies of small smoked sausages. WTF? Then it hit me! I had tried (unsuccessfully) to find the Duke's smoked sausages Jake and Carla have been raving about. So, they sent me some.

I tried one and they were right! They did taste a lot like the bigger ones at the Smoke House in Columbus. I tried another and then another (just to make sure). These things are like crack!

I made myself stop. Thanks, guys!

I couldn't work outside, so I putzed around inside.

I made the last of the steak, corn and potato leftovers for my dinner. I watched a little TV, but went to bed by 9:00 p.m.


  1. You're welcome. Be careful with those. Cheapest I've found is about $1.40 an ounce.

  2. "So, I use the Carla method (not the way I was raised) and eat until I'm full and quit."

    I'm proud of you. This is the only method to use of course! :)

  3. Hey, I always pay attention to things you tell me...