Monday, April 18, 2016

The Sunday story

I woke up around 6:00 a.m., per usual. I turned on the news and watched it for a while and then posted to the blog.

I hurt like a son of a bitch. When the wheelbarrow went over, yesterday, so did I. The damn right hand handle punched me in the ribs (that hurts the most) and my left hand and arm scraped the patio blocks. I had two (2) big bandages left so I cleaned out the wounds on my arm and hand and called it good. But, today, I freakin' hurt.

I finally shaved and showered and got dressed around 10:00 a.m.

Then, I got out the bike (first time this year) and drove over to CVS for some big bandages. I stuffed them in my leather coat and went riding.

I didn't go far. I took all the side streets between Joy road and Plymouth. I had not done Jake's bike check (I forget the acronym) and didn't even check the tire pressure, so I stayed close to home, in case something broke down.

Back home, I pulled the truck out of the garage, put the windows down an inch and then locked it (just so I could use the garage).

I changed into shorts and a tee shirt. Then I went out back and got to work. I picked up all the newly fallen little branches (I think a squirrel's nest blew down).

I cleaned out the raised bed herb garden and put the rest of the dirt in it.

I took the bag of bird seed out of the truck, put it in the wheelbarrow and took it out back.

I moved the push mower from the garage to the shed. While I was in the shed, I hooked up the battery charger to the garden tractor and ran the 100-foot extension cord from the house.

I put the gargoyle onto the drain pipe out front.

I blew off the dirt from the patio mishap. I went inside and did the weekend wash. I opened all the windows to let the house air out.

I thought it was the perfect time to take a nap, so I did. When I woke up, I put the clothes in the dryer and started my Sunday supper.

I fried boneless, skinless chicken breasts in canola oil after seasoning them with salt and pepper. I cooked them about three minutes on each side. Then I moved them to a plate and stuck it in the microwave to keep warm.

I added 1/4 cup of chopped shallots and an eight-ounce box of presliced baby bella mushrooms to the pan I sauteed those until browned. I added two minced garlic cloves and sauteed them for another minute, stirring constantly. I added in 1/2 cup of dry white wine, scraping the pan. I brought that to a boil and cooked until the liquid had almost evaporated. I sprinkled in 1 1/2 teaspoons of AP flour and cooked it for a minute. Then I added 3/4 cup of chicken stock. I brought that to a boil and cooked it a couple of minutes, until it thickened. I added in two tablespoons of butter and a teaspoon of fresh thyme.  I cooked that until the butter melted. I poured some of the sauce over a chicken breast and ate it with some Uncle Ben's butter and garlic rice.

Sidebar: I love those microwave pouches of rice. 90 seconds and you've got a side dish!

I cleaned up the mess after eating, then I went outside and wound up the extension cord (the battery was charged by then). I locked the shed and came inside. I shut all the windows and then watched taped TV shows until almost midnight.

Which is why I overslept and this post is so late!


  1. The gargoyle is beautiful....where ever did you get it?

  2. You know, I don't remember anymore. It's at least two or three years old.It's heavy cast-iron and I really like it. I'll try and find in on the Blog

  3. T-CLOCK.

    Tires, controls, lights, oil, chassis, kickstand.

  4. Got it! Thanks. I'll old and forget things...