Sunday, January 10, 2016

Finally, Friday!!!

Sidebar: After almost two weeks off, this has been a long, grueling week. It’s about time I realized that I am really (really) too old for this shit! It’s wearing on me…

My sleep cycle was still screwed up. Fell asleep way too early Thursday night and woke up at 2:30 a.m., bright-eyed and bushy tailed. Not good!

Since I was up anyway, around 5:00 a.m., I made some scrambled eggs. I was out of bread, so no toast. I topped them with ketchup and more salt, just to make them interesting

Note: Back when I was a little lad, my Mother asked me if I wanted ketchup on them. I was confused. Scrambled eggs were perfect the way they were! She said the neighbor lady across the street (Bea) told her that her son Raymond liked them topped with chili sauce (that’s a condiment, much like ketchup, but with “stuff” in it). We didn’t have any chili sauce, so my Mother wanted to try them with ketchup. I said, “Sure!” So we ate them that way. Not bad, just interesting…

Sidebar: My Mom was a foodie, before foodie was cool! She made amazing food with nothing but a can of dried parsley, Kitchen Bouquet (a dark liquid I never understood) and a small jar of garlic powder.

It was finally time to go to work, so I did. I got my rain coat out of the front hall closet. It’s supposed to be warmer and wet today.

Sidebar: I normally leave my coats draped over the kitchen chairs so they are warm. The front hall closet is unheated, in the unheated front entry/hallway (or whatever the hell it’s called) so grabbing a coat out of there at 7:00 a.m. under 40 degrees can be a SHOCK!

However, my pea coat is thick wool (warm as fnck) but a damn cat hair magnet. I was spending like a half hour at work and numerous roller sheets each day to clean it off. So, I moved a trinket from under a shelf to free up a hook and keep it (and my watch cap and gloves) up there, cat free and warm.

I stopped at Larry’s Foodliner (open 24 hours) and got two jars of beef gravy, some deli mustard, a loaf of bread and an impulse buy: Two Danish coffee cakes. One was cheese and the other raspberry (I love cheese Danish).

I brought the coffee cakes into work and went and got the knife to slice them up. The only knife we have is a wicked, serrated knife some 14 inches long. Courtney said, “Oh my God! You look like a serial killer with that.” I said, “Don’t worry. As long as the edge it down, you’re okay.” My boss, Lenore, laughed. She’s married to a Marine so she got it.

It was warmer, but didn’t get wet until 10:00 a.m. I know that because I went to take my obligatory walk outside (in the warmth) but it was sprinkling. So, I walked inside the shop.

My Friday lunch partner sent me a text around 11:00 a.m., saying she was stuck downriver with a problem and wouldn’t be back by noon. She said I should go on without her. I asked her if she was still going to eat and she said, “Of course!” So, I told her I’d wait.

Sidebar: It’s not like I’m so skinny I can’t miss a meal.  Ask my doctor…

So, she texted me, close to 1:00 p.m. and I went outside in the rain. I climbed in her truck and we headed off to Time Out.

Sidebar: Why is it that short people (like Vicky and Michelle) buy these tall 4x4 trucks but not the running boards?

We both ordered the fish and chips. They were excellent, as always. I’ve had some great fish dinners, but for straight Pub Grub, these can’t be beat!

The afternoon passed quickly (it does that if you go to lunch late, I guess) and pretty soon I was headed home for the weekend!

I changed clothes and started watching the news. When it ended at 7:00 p.m., I went in the kitchen. I heated up the last of the roast beef, half a jar of gravy and a small bowl of frozen sweet corn in the microwave. When everything was warm, I made it into an open faced hot roast beef sandwich with a side of buttered corn. It was delicious!

I tried to read in the chair (to stay awake) but fell asleep before 10:00 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment