Monday, December 14, 2015

Weekend Warrior!


I went to bed early Friday night and so I missed my Brother Jim’s phone call and my Brother Carl’s text.

Sidebar: Vicky has (gently) suggested that my recent hospital visit seems to have “taken something out of me.” I don’t know if that’s true, but I can’t seem to stay up past 9:00 p.m. Which is weird, because I used to love watching the Tonight show, going to bed at 1:00 a.m. and then waking up, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 5:30.

Anyway, I went and got my massage. Margaret’s Dad was in the kitchen and we shook hands (I waited until he extended his, as he is blind). He told me that he and Margaret were going to take a walk later, since it was so warm outside. When I was leaving, Margaret gave me a big hug and we wished each other “Happy Holidays.”

From there, I went to Kroger’s and got everything on my list, except for parsley. Kroger’s parsley sucked.

So, I stopped at Westborn for the parsley and got a wedge of mild Pinconning cheese as well. I also bought a tub of wheat grass for Caley. Scruffy used to love this stuff!

When I came out of the store, I noticed there was a hubbub in the now empty garden area. There was two guy dressed up like elves, next to an antique sleight and a live reindeer deer! So, I waited my turn and snapped a photo for Yanessa.

Sidebar:  To tell you the truth, I was a bit disappointed in the reindeer. First one I ever saw in person. I was led by tradition to believe they were taller, like a horse with horns. This guy wasn't any bigger than a goat. How the hell do nine of them pull that sleigh around the world in one night?

Then I went to Home Depot and got almost everything I needed. I forgot a specialty light bulb and some salt for the driveway. I can’t explain forgetting the light bulb (I had the bad one in my coat pocket) but I forgave myself about the salt. It’s just too damn nice outside to be thinking about snow and ice!

Back home around noon, I called Jim. I got Coletta, though. Seems they got their Christmas card for Melissa and Dave back and needed their new address. So, I gave it to her.

Then I sent it to my brother Carl, as well. Apparently, when Jim couldn’t get in touch with me, he asked Carl. Why? I dunno. My Mother always said Carl knew everything, so maybe that’s why…

Sidebar: She always liked Carl the best…

I set down the wheat grass and called Caley. She totally ignored it (bitch).

Then I got started on my chicken noodle soup. I had four leg quarters (legs and thighs) from Courtney (thank you!) but I thought it might be a little too much dark meat. So, I added two boneless, skinless chicken breasts to the pot (my medium stock pot).

Now, I was just making the stock. Everything except the chicken meat was going to get tossed. So, I added in four cloves of garlic (smashed but unpeeled), half of a red onion (cut in chunks, but also unpeeled), four stalks of celery (rough chopped) and four carrots (unpeeled and cut in two.)

To that, I added eight stalks of parsley (from Westborn) and eight stalks of thyme (from out back), a palm full of black pepper corn seeds and two bay leaves. I dumped in two gallons of water and brought that to a boil.

I turned it to simmer and set my internal timer for six hours. I revisited it from time to time, using my Rachel Ray spoon to get off the foam/froth.

I had left the truck outside (to unload the groceries) so I put the pallet down on the floor.

Sidebar: One of the down sides of the wall replacement is that I can’t find anything! So, I couldn’t find my chalk line. I used the 6-foot level and a tape measure to mark my Christmas tree outline, instead. Then I cut it out with the Skill saw.

I tried to make one of the cast-off pallet legs to make the foot of the tree. I blew that. So, I gave up and went in to take a nap.

I woke up in time for the chicken stock to be done. So, I pulled out the meat with my tongs and a slotted spoon. Then I strained the broth, first through a strainer and then though the same strainer, lined with cheese cloth.

I froze some of the stock and turned the rest into chicken noodle soup. I added carrots, diced onions, parsley, all of the chicken meat and Kluski noodles. It needed a bit more salt and pepper, but it was delicious!!!

I watched a couple of DIY shows and then went to bed.


I made a big breakfast on Sunday morning. I had thawed out some thick-cut bacon, so I fried up four strips. Then I fried some sliced russet potatoes in the bacon grease. Finally, I fried up three eggs over-easy and made some toast. It was a hot mess, but I loved it!

I wasn’t feeling the love, so I took it easy. I did cut up the chuck roast I bought for stew meat and put it in the marinade for Monday.

Sidebar: With these record high temps, it’s hard to think about chicken noodle soup or stews, but, I do what I can.

I did the normal Sunday morning chores.

I ate soup for lunch and dinner. It needed salt, but was fantastic.

I fell asleep, reading in my chair with the fireplace on. When I got up, I was stiff and sore, so I went to bed.


  1. Well, Santa is really an elf so it makes sense that he wouldn't need that much (get ready for it) horsepower! hahahah

  2. @ Carl: Jealous of what?
    @ Jake: Groan...