Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Monday Moanin’

I had set the alarm on my phone for 5:15 a.m. on Monday and it definitely woke me up!

So, I shaved, showered, got dressed and finished up packing my suitcase for home (sigh…)

I made my goodbyes to Carla and Whiskey. I am pretty sure I know how they felt, but I was damn sure I didn’t want to go…

Between this and that, Jake and I didn’t leave until about 7:00 a.m. (when I had planned on being at the airport). But, Jake took the shortest route to the airport and (I swear to God) he actually was speeding!!!

Sidebar: Okay, it was only five over, but Jake never speeds. I was amazed!!!

We said our own goodbyes and I headed into the airport. I was second in line, but then I saw the kiosks. So, I stepped out of line to try my hand again. But, once again, it didn’t work! So, I went back in line, now seven back…

I got through, though, and went into the short security line. This time there was no drug/bomb sniffing dogs or other weird shit, so, after a quick pat down, I was in the terminal.

I still had about 15 minutes before boarding, so I grabbed a sausage biscuit, with the (extra cost) egg and cheese.

We all walked out on the tarmac and went up the stairs of the little prop plane. I took a photo for you so you can see what I mean when I say “puddle jumper.”

Here’s where things went horribly wrong… I had watched the local morning weather with Carla and congratulated myself that it was not raining in Columbia, just Charlotte.

I should have thought that one through, since I had to GO to Charlotte. When we got to Charlotte, it was raining like a b*tch!

Since you have to deplane out on the tarmac, I was soaked to the skin before I got into the terminal.

I had about 10 minutes to get across the entire airport to my next gate and I just made it.

This plane was not full and I had a nice flight to Detroit. Two things made it especially nice. I managed to sweet talk the stewardess into a second cup of coffee and we had some kind of tail wind that got us into Detroit almost a half hour early! Win-win!!!

But, then it took forever for the checked luggage to come and I had to walk about a half mile to my truck. All in all, I spent about another hour in the airport before I was on the road and headed home. I used the time to text people letting them know I’d gotten home safe and sound.

I stopped at the bank for some cash and then CVS (they’d called twice while I was down south to let me know my prescription renewals should be picked up).

Finally, I was home. I went in through the front door and treated Caley. I even fussed over her when I saw she hadn’t barfed on the bed!

Then I hooked the garage door opener back up and pulled the truck inside.

I unloaded the suitcase and put it on the bed. I rewound the living room clock. I dealt with the used kitty litter and put out a fresh tray for Caley (in spite of it being only 41 degrees, I opened all the downstairs windows to deal with the smell).

Then I went outside and refilled the bird feeder, the squirrel feeder and the suet cage. I set the snow blower out to the road.

Sidebar: It was gone in less than 10 minutes.

Back inside, I finally changed clothes and unpacked my suitcase.

I made some signs  saying, "Please throw this away" and taped them to the broken trashcan for tomorrow’s pick up.

Sidebar: I hope, anyway. I have found that it’s almost impossible to get a garbage guy to throw away a trashcan.

I cleaned out the humidifier, ran some vinegar through it and then refilled the container. I put in this month’s new charcoal filter.

I watched the news until 6:30 p.m. Then I went downstairs and shut all the windows. The strong smell of cat urine and feces had dissipated by then and it was getting chilly.

I warmed up the last of the fried eggplant slices for my dinner.

I couldn’t find anything interesting on TV, so I just read until my 9:00 p.m. bedtime.


  1. If it makes you feel better, I took one of those puddlejumpers across the English Channel on more than one occasion.They can be scary
    What happened to "I can fix a small engine" poor snowblower

  2. Damn you! I told you not to tell anyone I went five over. Now I'll spend the rest of my life looking over my shoulder.

  3. @GPF: I like flying in them, just not walking outside in the rain to get to the terminal. Re: snowblower. I didn't "need" it and I realized I still have way too many projects I need to finish before taking on another one.
    @Redacted: Not to worry. I don't think the SC police read this blog!