Thursday, November 26, 2015

Wednesday Wanderings

I woke up to the alarm on Wednesday, even though I had the day off. I took my pills and ate the last two pieces of Spam (with toast) for breakfast.

I finished packing and did one more check of the place: Windows and doors locked, cat’s food and water more than sufficient, two extra kitty litter trays in place, etc., etc., etc. I shaved, showered and got dressed in comfortable traveling clothes. I put the last few items in the suitcase and headed out to the airport.

I left 2 1/2 hours early. I allowed myself a half hour to find a parking space and two hours to get through security (recommended due to the increased terror alert). I found a parking spot easily enough.

But, there was a problem using the kiosk to get my tickets and I had to see a real person. Then they had to call their IT Help Desk (which I found ironic) to fix the problem.

Note: The transfer from the old US Airways to US Air is complete (except for repainting the planes). However, I don’t like their tickets. They don’t tell you the gate, or the arrival time. So, I asked about the gate. The lady told me I had to check the monitors!!!

It took over an hour to get through the security lines. Not only were they huge (worst travel day of the year, I’m told), but a drug or explosive sniffing dog had to vet each individual person (before they just walked up and down the line).

A thorough pat down later and on I went to the monitor and found my gate. I checked my ticket and there was no seat or “group” number! So, I asked. Turned out they try to keep families together as much as possible, so I had a seat, just not a number yet. I ended up in an aisle seat in the last row on the plane.

But, my seat companion was an attractive woman and we had an enjoyable flight, chatting most of the way.

Once in Charlotte, I checked the monitors again, found my gate and boarded the next plane for the hop to Columbia. This time my seat companion, another woman, never said a word until almost the end of the flight, when she asked, “If you don’t mind, can I ask what you do for a living?” I said, “I’m a business analyst in an IT department. Why?” She said, ‘Well, I thought you were a college professor. I work at a college in administration and you just have that look!”

I said, “Well, I’d like to be a college professor, but I don’t think I’d make as much money.” She laughed and said, “No, no you wouldn’t” End of conversation.

I retrieved my suitcase after landing, sent a couple of texts letting people know I made it safe and sound and then waited for Jake. He had sent me a text saying he would be a little late, due to traffic.

I sat outside on a bench, enjoying the warmth (60 degrees) until I had to go to the bathroom again. I went back inside, took care of business and then Jake sent me a text saying he was there.

He loaded my stuff up and we headed home.

I got a warm welcome from Carla and Whiskey. Jake carted my suitcase upstairs and I went to change into something a bit more comfortable.

We sat in the living room and chatted until we all decided we were hungry. Carla had been working all day on the Thanksgiving dinner prep, so we decided she deserved a break and we ordered pizza.

We ate that watching some cooking shows (and chatting still). I was beat, so when Jake suggested bed around 8:00 p.m. I readily agreed.

I spent some time getting things unpack, pill box refilled, setting up my bathroom, etc. I read a little in bed, but was asleep just after 9:00 p.m.


  1. Thanks for the heads up that you were leaving!

  2. Sorry about that. You know how bad I am about calling my brothers. Just ask Jim!