Sunday, November 15, 2015

The Saturday Story

I set the alarm Friday night, so I woke up at 5:30 a.m. on Saturday. I had a lot to catch up!

I ate some soft-boiled eggs with a cup of coffee for breakfast while watching the morning news.

Then I got the Hot-Shot ready to mail to Riese. I loaded the dishwasher with the breakfast dishes. It made a full load, so I turned it on.

Then I started the first load of the weekend wash.

I shaved, showered and got dressed. Then I headed out for my 9:00 a.m. massage appointment.

From there, I made my 10:30 a.m. haircut appointment. I was a week late for a haircut (I was a little busy last Saturday) and so a bit shaggy.

Next came Kroger’s and a major shopping event (mostly restocking the house). The place was packed, parking ridiculous (I parked out by Five Mile and hiked in) and the lines were long.

Besides a beef roast, one of the sale items that caught my eye were Brussels sprouts. But, they were pathetic (pathetic!!!) So, I passed on them and added Westborn to my list of places to stop.

Sidebar: Once you have a jones for Brussels sprouts, there’s no stopping!

I was supposed to go to the Feed Store for 40 pounds of bird seed. But, about half way through the Kroger madness, I realized I was no longer walking, I was shuffling my feet. That’s my personal sign that I am tired.

So, I grabbed a bag of Kroger Bird seed instead, vowing to go to the feed store at lunch during the week.

I finally got checked out after giving the cashier $149.00! Back out near Five Mile, I filled the truck cab up!

Sidebar: I still didn’t get the bleach and the parchment paper on the list. Next week, I guess…

I stopped in at Westborn and got some decent Brussels sprouts. I also picked up more grated Parmesan and another date nut loaf for next week’s breakfasts.

Next I went to Costco (another mad house) and got some peanuts for the squirrels.

Finally, I stopped at CVS and picked up more lancets for my blood glucose kit.

It was after 1:00 p.m. when I finally pulled back into my driveway.

Then, of course, I had to unload the truck and put everything away…

I went outside and put the outside faucet cover on for the winter.

When I was done, I took a well-deserved nap.

When I woke up, I drove to the Post Office and mailed Riese's package.  Then I went to the corner gas station and filled up the truck ($1.99 a gallon? Oh, hell yeah!). I chatted a bit with my little friend and then went home.  By then, the sun was going down and, for some reason, the clouds had all turned pink. It was lovely. So, I walked out back and took a picture.

Back inside, I heated up the rest of the chicken Parmesan tenders. This time I made a pouch of Uncle Ben’s butter and garlic rice as the side.

Sidebar: I love his wild rice mixture (box or pouch) but I was not that impressed with the butter and garlic rice.

My daughter Melissa called and we had a nice, long chat.

When we finally hung up, I went in to watch some TV. But, by now, you know how that goes. I crashed like a rock before the movie was half way through.

I am just so damn tired these days…


  1. “I shaved, showered and got dressed”

    For the love of temporal lobes (the source of intense religious experiences), where is your Oxford comma? I don’t care that you left it out, but its absence means I’m not going to be able to stop singing this Weird Al song:

  2. LOL, I haven't had an "intense religious experience" since I was 12. That may be my problem...