Sunday, November 29, 2015

Saturday’s Story

It was another gorgeous, sunny day in South Carolina on Saturday. I forgot to mention it was 71 degrees and sunny on Thanksgiving (for which I was thankful). Saturday’s high was 73!

After we all got dressed, Carla and I went to the grocery store for today’s main meal.

When we got back, Carla put the groceries away while Jake and I left to go on post. He wanted to show me some of the devastation the “100 year” flood had caused.

It was impressive! We stopped and he showed me Semmes Lake, where the dam had burst and washed away. The missing dam is on the right side of the picture below.

Note: I was playing with panorama (I love saying that word) here, so if you click the image below and then click the next image that appears, you can click the magnifying glass in the upper right-hand corner to zoom in.  Continue to click the + button (or drag the slider) until you hit the maximum zoom and then click and drag around the lake to see a much clearer view of the dam, pier, etc.

Then he drove around to the other side of the dam. Many of the chain link fences had been blasted over when Semmes Lake dam had burst. But, don’t worry about Army security. They have been temporarily replaced by double rows of coils of razor wire.

Back outside Fort Jackson, se drove though the neighborhoods. We went by commercial building that looked like they were shot with a bomb and small creeks with trash still in the tree branches, some 30 feet in the air. Unbelievable!

Back home, I changed clothes and then started helping Carla prep for dinner. Carla’s making stuffed peppers and I’m making the 20-minute mac and cheese.

Sidebar: She wanted my original mac and cheese but I finally convinced her (with great difficulty) to try this one.

They like to use brick cheese, freshly shredded with the food processor as opposed to the bags of shredded cheese I buy. They say it tastes and melts better. So she shredded up the cheese I needed for my mac & cheese and the cheese she needed for her stuffed peppers.

I minced garlic for her stuffed peppers and blanched the cleaned out red, yellow and orange peppers (no green, thank you). I cooked the rice in the pepper water while she browned the ground chuck and onions. The diced tomatoes and garlic went in near the end.

Finally, it all came together. I stuffed the filling into the peppers, she sprinkled a little more cheese on top and added a tomato sauce mix I didn’t see her make to the top.

They went into the oven for 30 minutes. We they were finished and cooled, they went into the fridge to reheat at dinnertime.

We talked and watched some TV or went outside during the early after noon.

Then it was time to make the mac & cheese. This time, Carla heated the quart of milk on the stovetop (I originally did it in my microwave, if you remember) and made the elbow macaroni for me. I made the roux with butter, flour and then slowly added the milk.

I took it off the heat and added the eight ounces each of extra sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese. I topped it with a splash of hot sauce. They use Texas Pete as opposed to my Frank’s Red Hot (I put that sh*t on everything, LOL!)

Carla drained the pasta and I incorporated it into the cheese sauce.

Carl had made some plain bread crumbs and mixed in two tablespoons of olive oil. I sprinkled that on top and stuck it under the broiler for two minutes (until it started browning).

Meanwhile Carla was heating up the stuffed peppers individually in the microwave (our own Chef Mike).

Finally, it all came together and we plated our Saturday supper.

Dinner was a huge success, especially for me. The liked the mac & cheese (whew) and I haven’t had stuffed peppers in years!!!

Jake clean up what little we had left. Carla and I personally tried to rinse everything we used and stick it in the dishwasher, so he wouldn’t be out there forever after dinner. Or, maybe we did it just to frustrate him (he’s a cleaning machine!) I’m not quite sure which, LOL!

We watched some TV and half of a movie. Then, we decided we were all tired and could finish it tomorrow.

I read in bed for just a bit and then went to sleep.

Sidebar: I have developed a method of knowing just when its time to actually go to sleep. I read in bed with my glasses off (so they don’t get broken) and, when I realize I’ve been staring at the same page for over a minute without actually reading anything, I close the book, turn off the light and go to sleep. Works every time!!!


  1. The stuffed peppers and macaroni and cheese were both excellent!

  2. Even the Mac and Cheese Jake?

    Dinner looks delisious

  3. Yes, even the mac and cheese.

    Paid for the by the John G Committee